Probability Question: 4 layers, 4 flavours

• Thread starter dacruick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the formula given for this problem is (n + k - 1)! / (n! * (k-1)!) and it represents a combination rather than a permutation. It can be derived through representing multisets and is a more refined and probabilistically sound method than simply computing 4 x 4 x 4 x 4. The question of whether it should be posted in the homework forum depends on the wording and intent of the question.
dacruick
Okay so here is the problem. I have 4 layers of a cake, and 4 flavours to use. I can make any layer of the cake any flavour, and can use any flavour any amount of times. Also, it does not matter the order of the flavours in the cake. As in 1 1 2 3 is the same as 1 2 1 3 and 3 2 1 1 and so on.

I also believe I have the answer, but do not know why it is the correct answer. I was told that if n represents the flavours, and k represents the layers, the formula goes as follows:

(n + k - 1)! / (n! * (k-1)!). why is that so?

When I originally tried to tackle this problem the method that I took was take 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 to get the total permutations, and then try and subtract or divide out the amount of cakes that can have repeated permutations. Furthermore, I assume that the equation above is doing the same thing, just in a more refined and probabilistically sound manner.

So to sum this up, I would just like someone to explain to me the logic behind the formula. why 7! and so on. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
dacruick said:
Okay so here is the problem. I have 4 layers of a cake, and 4 flavours to use. I can make any layer of the cake any flavour, and can use any flavour any amount of times. Also, it does not matter the order of the flavours in the cake. As in 1 1 2 3 is the same as 1 2 1 3 and 3 2 1 1 and so on.

I also believe I have the answer, but do not know why it is the correct answer. I was told that if n represents the flavours, and k represents the layers, the formula goes as follows:

When I originally tried to tackle this problem the method that I took was take 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 to get the total permutations, and then try and subtract or divide out the amount of cakes that can have repeated permutations. Furthermore, I assume that the equation above is doing the same thing, just in a more refined and probabilistically sound manner.

So to sum this up, I would just like someone to explain to me the logic behind the formula. why 7! and so on. Thank you
See the section titled "multiset coefficients" here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiset

Moderator's note

Thread moved to:
Homework & Coursework Questions > Precalculus Mathematics​
Homework assignments or any textbook style exercises for which you are seeking assistance are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152" area. This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study.

dacruick said:

Have you verified that the formula result agrees with your correct, common-sense answer of 44 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]4^4[/tex] is the correct answer if the order of the layers matters, but the problem statement says it does not.

Last edited:
Ah, my mistake. awkward is correct.

The thing is, its not a computation, and its not a permutation either. to keep consistant with 'utations', its some sort of mutation between the two. I'm not sure if the derivation of this formula is too advanced for me to really grasp it using logic.

And RedBelly, I am unclear about the rules about which questions go where. I intended this question to be a discussion of the formula, and type of problem that this '4 layers' question represents. As you see I already have the answer, I really just want to know why that is the answer. So if this is the case, do I still have to post it in the homework forum?

dacruick said:
The thing is, its not a computation, and its not a permutation either. to keep consistant with 'utations', its some sort of mutation between the two. I'm not sure if the derivation of this formula is too advanced for me to really grasp it using logic.

dacruick, this is a combination, as shown quite clearly in the wikipedia article awkward :smile: referred you to …
One simple way to prove this involves representing multisets in the following way …

… what do you not understand about that?

(and the fact that you have been given the answer does not make it any the less a homework problem … about half the homework threads ar PF are like that)

If i name the question, what is the different between a combination and a permutation and use that same question to portray my misunderstanding, is it still a homework question. Its not that I have the answer, is the answer that I'm searching for is not a homework question. So is how i name the question the primary factor in where I place it on the forum?

1. What is the probability of choosing a specific flavor from each of the four layers?

The probability of choosing a specific flavor from each of the four layers is 1/4 or 25%. This assumes that each layer has an equal distribution of flavors.

2. What is the probability of choosing the same flavor for all four layers?

The probability of choosing the same flavor for all four layers is 1/256 or 0.39%. This assumes that each layer has an equal distribution of flavors.

3. What is the probability of choosing at least one layer with a specific flavor?

The probability of choosing at least one layer with a specific flavor is 4/16 or 25%. This assumes that each layer has an equal distribution of flavors.

4. How many different flavor combinations are possible with four layers and four flavors?

There are 256 different flavor combinations possible with four layers and four flavors. This is because each layer can have one of four flavors, and there are four layers in total.

5. What is the probability of choosing a specific combination of flavors for each layer?

The probability of choosing a specific combination of flavors for each layer is 1/256 or 0.39%. This assumes that each layer has an equal distribution of flavors.