Solving Plane Equation 3x + 2y -z = 4

• Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the person is looking for the equation of a plane that is perpendicular to the one with the equation 3x + 2y - z = 4 and goes through points P(1, 2, 4) and Q(-1, 3, 2). The person has found a new plane that has the equation 3x - 8y - 7z = -41.
Darkmisc
Homework Statement
Find a Cartesian equation of the plane that is at right angles to the plane with the equation 3x + 2y - z =4 and goes through the points P(1, 2, 4) and Q(-1, 3, 2).
Relevant Equations
r⋅n=a⋅n
Hi everyone

One of the numbers in my attempt would hint that I have gotten something backwards in this question, but I can't see how.

1678770494783.png

For the plane 3x + 2y -z = 4, I've assumed the vector form is
r⋅(3i+2j -k) = 4. That is, (3i+2j -k) is the normal to the plane.

That being so, (3i+2j -k) will be parallel to plane that I am solving for. I'm going to use (3, 2, -1) as a point, M, on the plane relative to the origin.

PQ = (-2, 1, -2)
PM = (2, 0, -5)

The direction of PQxPM will be normal to the plane that I'm solving for.
PQxPM = n = -5i - 14j -2k

P⋅n and Q⋅n both give -41. The correct answer is -3x + 8y + 7z = 41.

I get -5x - 14y -2 = -41.

Does the -41 indicate that I'm on the right track, but with something flipped? Or have I taken the completely wrong approach?

Can someone show me how to solve this?Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Darkmisc said:
That is, (3i+2j -k) is the normal to the (given) plane.

That being so, (3i+2j -k) will be parallel to plane that I am solving for. I'm going to use (3, 2, -1) as a point, M, on the plane relative to the origin.
Why do you think M is in the plane you are looking for?

Likes Darkmisc
Darkmisc said:
Homework Statement:: Find a Cartesian equation of the plane that is at right angles to the plane with the equation 3x + 2y - z =4 and goes through the points P(1, 2, 4) and Q(-1, 3, 2).
Relevant Equations:: r⋅n=a⋅n

Hi everyone

One of the numbers in my attempt would hint that I have gotten something backwards in this question, but I can't see how.

View attachment 323596
For the plane 3x + 2y -z = 4, I've assumed the vector form is
r⋅(3i+2j -k) = 4. That is, (3i+2j -k) is the normal to the plane.

PQ = (-2, 1, -2)
PM = (2, 0, -5)
(3, 2, -1) is a point on the given plane, but as the other responder said, you can't assume that's on the plane whose equation you need to find.
Darkmisc said:
The direction of PQxPM will be normal to the plane that I'm solving for.
PQxPM = n = -5i - 14j -2k
That's the right idea, but you don't have the right normal to the new plane. For the plane you're trying to find, I get a normal of <3, -8, -7>. I have used this to determine the equation of the new plane, and have verified that the two given points satisfy the equation I found.
Darkmisc said:
P⋅n and Q⋅n both give -41. The correct answer is -3x + 8y + 7z = 41.
I got an equivalent version of this equation -- namely, 3x - 8y - 7z = -41.
Darkmisc said:
I get -5x - 14y -2 = -41.

Does the -41 indicate that I'm on the right track, but with something flipped? Or have I taken the completely wrong approach?
I think it's probably just a coincidence.

Last edited:
Likes Darkmisc
Mark44 said:
(3, 2, 1) is a point on the given plane
I assume you meant (3, 2, -1), but that does not satisfy the equation of the given plane either.

Mark44 said:
(3, 2, 1) is a point on the given plane
haruspex said:
I assume you meant (3, 2, -1), but that does not satisfy the equation of the given plane either.
Yes, I meant (3, 2, -1). I've edited my earlier post to correct it. The OP came up with the point (3, 2, -1) in error.

Other than my typo above, which I didn't use in my calculations, the rest of my post is still accurate.

Right. If planes are perpendicular, so are their normal vectors. Are your candidate vectors perpendicular?

WWGD said:
Right. If planes are perpendicular, so are their normal vectors. Are your candidate vectors perpendicular?
You're late to the party. I'm sure that the OP is aware of this, as he/she used the cross product to get a normal of the plane to be found.

Likes SammyS and WWGD
Mark44 said:
Yes, I meant (3, 2, -1). I've edited my earlier post to correct it. The OP came up with the point (3, 2, -1) in error.

Other than my typo above, which I didn't use in my calculations, the rest of my post is still accurate.
The given plane is ##3x+2y-z=4##. (3, 2, -1) satisfies ##3x+2y-z=14##, no?
Quite possibly that does not matter to your method.

haruspex said:
The given plane is ##3x+2y-z=4##. (3, 2, -1) satisfies ##3x+2y-z=14##, no?
Quite possibly that does not matter to your method.
No, it doesn't matter, although I misspoke when I said that the point (3, 2, -1) is on the given plane, or the point (3, 2, 1) for that matter. I'm glad you are catching these mistakes.

1. How do you solve a plane equation?

To solve a plane equation, you need to find the values of x, y, and z that satisfy the equation. This can be done by using algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination.

2. What is the purpose of solving a plane equation?

The purpose of solving a plane equation is to find the points that lie on the plane. This can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

3. What are the steps to solve a plane equation?

The steps to solve a plane equation are as follows: 1. Rewrite the equation in the form ax + by + cz = d.2. Choose a variable to eliminate by setting it equal to 0.3. Use substitution or elimination to solve for the remaining variables.4. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. Can a plane equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a plane equation can have infinitely many solutions. This means that there are multiple points that satisfy the equation and lie on the plane.

5. How is a plane equation represented graphically?

A plane equation can be represented graphically as a two-dimensional plane in a three-dimensional coordinate system. The points that satisfy the equation will lie on this plane, while points that do not satisfy the equation will not lie on the plane.