1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probably a simple Maple syntax error(hopefully). Help?

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    Probably a simple Maple syntax error(hopefully). Help? :)

1. I'm working on a research project. I've used this exact syntax below before and it worked on maple. I tried it a couple weeks later on the same computer in the math lab, and it didn't work. Then I tried it on my laptop- I think it is just a syntax- maybe someone can help me without knowing the theory behind the work.

Anyways, here's what I type into maple (tell me if you need the maple output)

c:=0.0012;
    s:=-1.5;
    m:=-2.8
    f3:=1+s+c*[1+(1/(x^2))-(1/((1-x)^2))]-2*m*x;

(At this point everything is fine; the function is defined and the only unknown in the function is x)

Then, it's time for me to graph so f3 vs x, so this is what I type:

plot(f3,x=0..0.69);

I thought maybe the problem was the division by 0 (even though it should just give me an asymptote), I changed it to

plot(f3,x=0.1..0.69);

No luck even with this. The error I get is

"Warning, unable to evaluate the function to numeric values in the region;see the plotting command's help page to ensure the calling sequence is correct."

I'm frustrated because I got this to graph before with x=0..0.69. I know this graph is located in the first quadrant. I really hope it's a simple error. Any hints or suggestions or anything would be appreciated. I went to the maple site to troubleshoot, and it doesn't seem to me like I have the errors they listed.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2
    Just in case anyone was wondering, the issue was that I used brackets instead of parentheses. Maybe Maple thought it was a matrix!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted