Probaility density function Determine A

In summary, we discussed a problem involving a random variable X with a probability density function. We determined the value of A and then calculated P(2.5 <= X <= 7.5) by integrating and subtracting certain values. The final answer is correct and we also discussed a suggestion to simplify the calculation by using symmetry.
TomJerry
Problem :
A random variable X has probability density function
[tex]
f(n) =
\begin{cases}
Ax, & \mbox{0 lessthan equal x less than 5 } \\
A(10-x), & \mbox{5 less than equal x less than 10 }\\
0, & \mbox{otherwise }
\end{cases}

[/tex]

i)Determine A
ii)Find P(2.5 <= X <= 7.5)

Solutions
i) let P(A) = Ax and P(b)= A(10-x)

P(A) + P(B) = 1

Therefore on calculating i get A = 1/25 [IS THIS CORRECT]

ii)
integrate from [0-5] for Ax and substract it by [0-2.5] A(x) --> I will get [2.5-5] A(x)
then
integrate from [5-10] for A(10-x) and substract it by [7.5-10] A(10-x) --> I will get [5-7.5] A(10-x)

Add them both to get answer for ii)

IS THIS CORRECT

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TomJerry! :smile:
TomJerry said:
Therefore on calculating i get A = 1/25 [IS THIS CORRECT]

Yes! :biggrin:
integrate from [0-5] for Ax and substract it by [0-2.5] A(x) --> I will get [2.5-5] A(x)
then
integrate from [5-10] for A(10-x) and substract it by [7.5-10] A(10-x) --> I will get [5-7.5] A(10-x)

Add them both to get answer for ii)

IS THIS CORRECT

shouldn't there be squares here? :confused:

(and i'd just do one of the integrals, and double it … the distribution is obviously syymmetric about 5 :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
shouldn't there be squares here? :confused:

(and i'd just do one of the integrals, and double it … the distribution is obviously syymmetric about 5 :wink:)

I didnt get it... what squares

If you're integrating Ax, won't you get an x2 ?

Your solution for part i) is correct. To determine A, you need to use the fact that the total area under the probability density function must equal 1. Therefore, you can set up the following equation:
∫f(x)dx = 1
∫Ax dx + ∫A(10-x) dx = 1
[Ax^2/2] from 0 to 5 + [A(10x-x^2/2)] from 5 to 10 = 1
(25A/2) + (25A/2) = 1
50A/2 = 1
A = 1/25

For part ii), your approach is correct. You need to use the probability density function to calculate the probability of the random variable falling within the given range. Therefore, the solution would be:
P(2.5 ≤ X ≤ 7.5) = ∫f(x)dx from 2.5 to 7.5
= ∫Ax dx from 2.5 to 5 + ∫A(10-x) dx from 5 to 7.5
= [Ax^2/2] from 2.5 to 5 + [A(10x-x^2/2)] from 5 to 7.5
= (25A/2) - (6.25A/2) + (12.5A/2) - (9.375A/2)
= 8.75A/2
= 8.75(1/25)/2
= 0.175 or 17.5%
Therefore, the probability of the random variable falling between 2.5 and 7.5 is 17.5%.

1. What is a probability density function (PDF)?

A probability density function is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a random variable taking on a certain value or range of values. It is used to model continuous random variables and is often represented graphically as a curve.

2. How is a PDF different from a probability distribution function (PDF)?

A PDF is a version of a probability distribution function that is normalized so that the total area under the curve is equal to 1. This allows for easier interpretation of the probabilities and comparisons between different distributions.

3. How is a PDF used in statistics and data analysis?

A PDF is used to understand the likelihood of different outcomes for a continuous variable. It can help with making predictions, determining the probability of certain events, and evaluating the performance of statistical models.

4. What are the important properties of a PDF?

A PDF must always be non-negative, meaning it cannot have negative values. It must also integrate to 1 over its entire domain, and the area under the curve between two points represents the probability of the random variable falling within that range. Additionally, the mode, mean, and variance of a PDF can provide important information about the distribution.

5. How do you determine the PDF for a given dataset or distribution?

The PDF for a given dataset or distribution can be determined using mathematical formulas or statistical techniques such as maximum likelihood estimation. It can also be visualized using graphs or histograms to get an idea of the shape and characteristics of the distribution. In some cases, the PDF may need to be estimated based on the available data.