Problem 11.1 from Ashcroft and Mermin's textbook

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, the continuity equations for $\psi$ are: - for any point on the surface of a primitive cell, it is separated by a Bravais lattice vector from another surface point and the normals to the cell at that point are oppositely directed.- Using the fact that $\psi$ can be chosen to have the Bloch form, show that the continuity conditions can equally well be written in terms of the values of $\psi$ entirely within a primitive cell.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let ##\vec{r}## locate a point just within the boundary of a primitive cell ##C_0## and ##\vec{r}'## another point infinitesimally displaced from ##\vec{r}## just outside the same boundary. The continuity equations for ##\psi(\vec{r})## are:
$$ (11.37) \lim_{r\to r'} [\psi(\vec{r})-\psi(\vec{r}')]=0$$
$$\lim_{r\to r'} [\nabla \psi(\vec{r})-\nabla \psi(\vec{r}')]=0$$

(a) Verify that any point ##\vec{r}## on the surface of a primitive cell is separated by some Bravais lattice vector ##\vec{R}## from another surface point and that the normals to the cell at ##\vec{r}## and ##\vec{r}+\vec{R}## are oppositely directed.
(b) Using the fact that ##\psi## can be chosen to have the Bloch form, show that the continuity conditions can equally well be written in terms of the values of ##\psi## entirely withing a primitive cell:
$$(11.38) \psi(\vec{r}) = e^{-i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}}\psi(\vec{r}+\vec{R})$$
$$\nabla \psi(\vec{r})= e^{-i\vec{k}\cdot \vec{R}}\nabla \psi(\vec{r}+\vec{R})$$
for pairs of points on the surface separated by direct lattice vectors ##\vec{R}##.
(c) Show that the only information in the second of equations (11.38) not already contained in the first is in the equation:
$$(11.39)\hat{n}(\vec{r})\cdot \nabla \psi(\vec{r})=-e^{-i\vec{k}\cdot \vec{R}}\hat{n}(\vec{r}+\vec{R})\cdot \nabla \psi(\vec{r}+\vec{R}),$$
where the vector ##\hat{n}## is normal to the surface of the cell.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am quite overwhelmed by this question, and am not sure where to start.

I would appreciate some guidance as to how to solve this problem.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought for assignment (b), that the Bloch condition is: ##\psi(r+R)=e^{ik\cdot R}\psi(r)## , for which we get the first idnetity of (11.38) (just multiply by the reciprocal of the exponent), but I don't see how is it related to the first continuity condition in (11.37).

Jump!

van Halen

1. What is the significance of Problem 11.1 in Ashcroft and Mermin's textbook?

Problem 11.1 is significant because it introduces the concept of band structures and their relation to the electronic and structural properties of materials. It also serves as a foundational problem for understanding the behavior of electrons in solids and their interactions with the crystal lattice.

2. Can you provide a brief overview of the problem and its objectives?

Problem 11.1 asks the reader to derive the expression for the energy bands in a simple one-dimensional crystal lattice. The objective is to understand how the energy bands are formed from the periodic potential of the crystal lattice and how they determine the electronic properties of the material.

3. How does Problem 11.1 relate to real-world materials and their properties?

The concepts and principles explored in Problem 11.1 are fundamental to understanding the electronic and structural properties of a wide range of materials, including metals, semiconductors, and insulators. The band structure of a material determines its electrical conductivity, optical properties, and other important characteristics.

4. What background knowledge is required to solve Problem 11.1?

In order to successfully solve Problem 11.1, a solid understanding of basic quantum mechanics and solid state physics is necessary. Familiarity with concepts such as the Schrödinger equation, wave functions, and Bloch's theorem will also be helpful.

5. Are there any practical applications of the concepts covered in Problem 11.1?

Yes, the understanding of band structures and their relation to material properties has led to numerous technological advancements, such as the development of semiconductor devices and the study of novel materials for energy storage and conversion. Additionally, this knowledge is essential for designing and engineering new materials for specific purposes.