Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem about Kohn Hohenberg theorem

1. Jul 4, 2017 #1

georg gill

Gold Member

upload_2017-7-4_21-50-10.png

This proof is taken from this site:

http://cmt.dur.ac.uk/sjc/thesis_ppr/node12.html

I get that ##v_{ext}(r)## and ##N## determines ##H## from proof 1. But why is ##\Psi## determined by ##H##? Can someone derive a path to prove it mathematically?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2017 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless the ground state is degenerate, which is very rare, there's no ambiguity as to the ground state wave function obtained for a given Hamiltonian (except for an arbitrary choice of the constant complex phase). You can't have a spectrum that's not bounded from below (in that pathological case there wouldn't be a ground state).

4. Jul 4, 2017 #3

georg gill

Gold Member

As far as I am concerned the wave function is definded in the derivation of the schrødinger equation as ##\Psi=\Psi_oe^{kx-\omega t}##. Of course there are others but thoose are derived explicitly for a given problem. For example the wave functions for the hydrogen molecule. I dont get why they can derive the wave functions by using ##H##

5. Jul 4, 2017 #4

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you're describing are momentum eigenstates, not bound states that DFT is used for finding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted