Problem figuring out on how to create a scoring sytem

• Thread starter douglasrac
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a scoring system with 3 criteria, A, B, and C, each with different ranges of possible points. The issue was that when the points were added together and multiplied by their respective percentages, the final score did not accurately reflect the importance of each criteria. The solution was to find the percentage of possible points for each criteria and then use that in the formula for calculating the final score.
douglasrac
Hi,

I'm creating a scoring system but I think the whole base of it is wrong and I don't know how to fix it.

It's simple. There are 3 criteria: A, B and C. I will evaluate people in those 3 criteria and attribute points to it.

Criteria A need to be 30% of total
Criteria B need to be 40% of total
Criteria C need to be 30% of total

So what I do is attribute points and then multiple by 30% or 40% and then sum them all.
The problem is that those criteria do not have the same amount of points.

Criteria A can go from 0 to 6.
Criteria B can go from 100 to 600.
Criteria C can go from -2 to 2.

So when I sum them, it doesn't make any sense. For example:

John got 5 on A, 400 on B and 1 on C.
So:
A: 5*0.3 = 1.5
B: 400*0.4 = 160
C: 1*0.3 = 0.3
Total: 161.8

This way doesn't seem that criteria A is having the same importance of criteria B, or at least only 10% less importance.
How can I make that work? Because it's impossible to have same scoring system for all criteria, but somehow the final score should reflect all criteria as almost equal.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You need to find the percentage of possible points for each stat, then multiply by the percentage of the total score. That's confusing, so I'll give an example.

For A = 5, B = 400, C = 1:
A is 83.333...% of its possible points. Computed by 5/6.
B is 80% of its possible points. Computed by 400/500.
C is 75% of its possible points. Computed by 3/4.

The general formula for a stat named S is (S + min)/(max - min) where S is the number of points for the S stat, min is the minimum number of points, and max is the maximum.

You can then take those values, and plug them into the formula you were using.

83.333... * .3 + 80 * .4 + 75 * .3 = 79.4999... on a scale of 1 to 100.

Last edited:
Thanks! That solved my problem.

1. What is a scoring system?

A scoring system is a method of assigning numerical values to different criteria or elements in order to measure and rank their performance or quality. It is commonly used in sports, games, and other competitive activities, but can also be applied to academic assessments or business evaluations.

2. Why is it important to have a scoring system?

A scoring system provides a standardized and objective way of evaluating performance or quality. It allows for fair comparisons between different individuals or teams, and can provide valuable feedback for improvement. It also adds a level of structure and clarity to a task or activity.

3. How do you create a scoring system?

The first step in creating a scoring system is to identify the criteria or elements that will be evaluated. Then, assign a numerical value or weight to each criteria based on its importance. Next, determine the scoring scale or range, such as a scale of 1-10 or a percentage. Finally, establish the rules and guidelines for how the scoring will be applied and calculated.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a scoring system?

When designing a scoring system, it is important to consider the purpose of the evaluation, the audience or participants involved, and the specific criteria that will be measured. Other factors to consider include the desired level of detail, the complexity of the task, and any potential biases or limitations that may affect the scoring process.

5. How can a scoring system be improved?

To improve a scoring system, it is important to regularly review and analyze the results and feedback from its application. This can help identify any flaws or areas for improvement in the criteria or scoring scale. Soliciting input from those who use or are affected by the scoring system can also provide valuable insights for making necessary adjustments.