• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Problem from discrete math class

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
How would I go about solving this?
We are starting to learn about venn diagrams so would creating a venn diagram be helpful?

This is what I tried so far, I created a set C consisting of all people who have taken calculus and a set D consisting of all people who have taken discrete math.

|C| = 331
|D| = 217
and
|C^D| = 199.

How can I determine the value of |C or D|?

|C^D| = number of people who have taken D and C

|C or D| = number of people who have taken D or C.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
We are starting to learn about venn diagrams so would creating a venn diagram be helpful?

This is what I tried so far, I created a set C consisting of all people who have taken calculus and a set D consisting of all people who have taken discrete math.

|C| = 331
|D| = 217
and
|C^D| = 199.

Creating a Venn diagram would be very helpful. There's an inclusion-exclusion identity connecting all of those numbers. |C or D|=|C|+|D|-|C and D|. The diagram should make it obvious.

Evo
Mentor

Problem (1 pt) There are 331 students who have taken a course in calculus, 217 who have taken a course in discrete mathematics, and 199 who have taken a course in both calculus and discrete mathematics. How many students at this college have taken a course in either calculus or discrete mathematics?

|C| = 331
|D| = 217
and
|C^D| = 199.

Miike, please do not delete the homework template, you must type everything out, attaching files in lieu of typing out the information is not allowed. It's also very inconsiderate to expect members to read something as hard to read as what you posted. I have typed it out above.

Helpers, please remember to report any thread where the template is not used and/or is not properly filled out.

Thanks!

Last edited: