Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem in understanding the meaning

1. Jun 25, 2013 #1
    What is the difference between the 2 expressions

1) for all x belongs to ℝ there exists y belongs to ℝ such that f(x)=y
    2) there exists y belongs to ℝ such that for all x belongs to ℝ , f(x)=y

I want to know the exact difference.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi thudda! welcome to pf! :wink:

tell us what you think, and then we'll comment! :smile:

4. Jun 25, 2013 #3
    Hi..thanks..:)

I think the 1st expression implies that for every x value there is a corresponding y value.And the 2nd imply that for all x values there's one or a set of y values...what I want to know is whether it is one y value or a set of y values..

5. Jun 25, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi thudda! :smile:
    yup … basically, it doesn't say anything more than that f is a function! :wink:
    ah, it's one y value …

"there exists y" always means there exists a y :smile:

(btw, when i see ##y\in R##, i always read that as "y in R" … it's shorter, and i think, easier, than "y belongs to R" :wink:)

6. Jun 25, 2013 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

Without more, both "there exists a(n)" and its abbreviation [itex]\exists[/itex] mean "there exists at least one". If you want to specify uniqueness, you must do so expressly. The abbreviation for "there exists exactly one" is [itex]\exists ![/itex] - the usual symbol followed by an exclamation mark.

As to the OP's examples: The first isn't quite the definition of a function; it would be if it asserted that y was unique. In the second, it follows from the definition of a function that if such a y exists then it must be unique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook