Problem involving Coulomb's law

In summary, the magnitude of the force exerted on a point charge by a big metal sphere with radius r and charge Q is inversely proportional to the distance between the point charge and the surface of the sphere, which is equal to s+r. This is due to the property of the electric field produced by a uniformly charged sphere, which allows us to rewrite Coulomb's law in terms of the electric field force. This relationship only holds for an inverse-square force law, with a special value of p=2.

Homework Statement

A big metal sphere has radius ##r## and charge ##Q##. The distance between a certain point charge and the surface of the sphere is equal to ##s##. The magnitude of the force exerted on the point charge is inversely proportional to:

A) ##s^2##
B) ##r^2##
C) ##(s+r)^2## (correct answer)
D) ##s^2+r^2##

(Source: Fysica Vandaag 5.2, Uitgeverij Pelckmans)

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##d## be the distance between the two charges.
##F=k\frac{|Q||Q'|}{d^2}=\frac{\mathrm{constant}}{d^2}##
This means the constant of proportionality is equal to ##d^2##.

Why is ##d=s+r##? I would expect it to be equal to ##s## since the charge in a sphere is the same everywhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1729 said:

Homework Statement

A big metal sphere has radius ##r## and charge ##Q##. The distance between a certain point charge and the surface of the sphere is equal to ##s##. The magnitude of the force exerted on the point charge is inversely proportional to:

A) ##s^2##
B) ##r^2##
C) ##(s+r)^2## (correct answer)
D) ##s^2+r^2##

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##d## be the distance between the two charges.
##F=k\frac{|Q||Q'|}{d^2}=\frac{\mathrm{constant}}{d^2}##
This means the constant of proportionality is equal to a ##d^2##.

Why is ##d=s+r##? I would expect it to be equal to ##s## since the charge in a sphere is the same everywhere.
If the sphere is uniformly charged, then at any point external to the sphere, the electric field produced by the sphere is the same as if all of the charge would reside at the center of the sphere.

Likes 1729
Consider two extreme situations. First, take r = 1 mm, s = 10 cm. At that distance, the metal sphere looks almost like a point charge, and there is no significant difference between the interaction of the point charge with the part of the sphere that is closest, and the part that is farthest away.

Second, take r = 1 m and s = 10 cm. Since, as you correctly state, the charge Q is uniformly distributed, the point charge will feel a greater force from the part of the charge that is closest compared to that on the other side of the sphere, which is now 2 m away.

So, it can't depend only on s.

The reason why it is r + s has just been given by Sammy.

Likes 1729
Thank you for your answers! I see the error of my ways now -- your argument is convincing, DrClaude!

At first I was skeptical about the relation between the electric field property Sammy mentioned and Coulomb's law. Luckily, it then struck me that one can also define Coulomb's law in terms of the electric field force.

##F=k\frac{|Q||Q'|}{d^2}=|Q|\cdot E##
By the property Sammy mentioned, we find that the distance can be rewritten as ##s+r##, and the result follows.

(In retrospect the electric field was a good way to think about this problem, but I didn't think of using it since the concept was introduced in the following chapter)

1729 said:
Thank you for your answers! I see the error of my ways now -- your argument is convincing, DrClaude!

At first I was skeptical about the relation between the electric field property Sammy mentioned and Coulomb's law. Luckily, it then struck me that one can also define Coulomb's law in terms of the electric field force.

##F=k\frac{|Q||Q'|}{d^2}=|Q|\cdot E##
By the property Sammy mentioned, we find that the distance can be rewritten as ##s+r##, and the result follows.

(In retrospect the electric field was a good way to think about this problem, but I didn't think of using it since the concept was introduced in the following chapter)

Interestingly, this works only for an inverse-square force law. If the force between two charges at distance ##r## were
[tex] F = k \frac{q_1 q_2}{r^p} [/tex]
for any ##p\neq 2##, then the nice property cited above would no longer hold. There is something almost magical about the special value ##p = 2##.

Likes 1729 and DrClaude
That's beyond the scope of the course I'm taking, but interesting nevertheless. Could you expand on why that happens?

1729 said:
That's beyond the scope of the course I'm taking, but interesting nevertheless. Could you expand on why that happens?
If the distance far greater than the radius of the sphere, then we can assume it a point of charge. If not, there are many points of charges on the sphere to consider. Summing them all will show that it will be equalled to point of total charges at the center.

Likes 1729

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do you calculate the force between two charged particles using Coulomb's law?

The force between two charged particles can be calculated using the formula F = (k * q1 * q2) / r2, where k is the Coulomb constant (8.99 x 109 Nm2/C2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

What is the unit of charge used in Coulomb's law?

The unit of charge used in Coulomb's law is the Coulomb (C), which is defined as the amount of charge that passes through a wire in one second when a current of one ampere is flowing.

What is the significance of Coulomb's law in everyday life?

Coulomb's law has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in the design of electrical circuits, understanding the behavior of static electricity, and the functioning of devices like capacitors and batteries.

How does Coulomb's law relate to Newton's third law of motion?

Coulomb's law and Newton's third law of motion are closely related, as they both describe the interaction between two objects. Coulomb's law deals with electrostatic forces between charged particles, while Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of Coulomb's law, the forces between two charged particles are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.