Problem of having no more than one SD slot

  • Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    sd
In summary: That is the Workgroup name. If you want to try to share the SD card, I don't know what will happen with the Turkish characters in the share name...Is it possible to give it a simple English name?Change the setting "Calisma...grubu" to be the same on both computers. That is the Workgroup name. If you want to try to share the SD card, I don't know what will happen with the Turkish characters in the share name...Is it possible to give it a simple English name?In summary, the conversation discusses the use of SD and USB technology for transferring files between devices. The speaker prefers using SD
  • #1
mech-eng
828
13
I like using SD instead of USB. But even though my PC has 3 USB slot there is only one SD slot. This makes the things more complicated. Without copying files to the desktop and without using USB technology how can I make a back up from one SD card to another SD card?

Thank you.
 
Computer science news on Phys.org
  • #2
Most computers (well, at least for me with all my laptops), there is only one SD slot.

Is there a particular reason why you wish to transfer direct to another SD card, without using USB technology (which would allow for you to use a device such as https://www.warehousestationery.co.nz/product/W1899992.html
 
  • #3
Is your laptop on a network? Are there other computers with SD slots on that network? If so, just plug your source SD card into another PC on the network, share that drive on the network, and go to your laptop and copy the files to the destination SD card in your laptop.
 
  • #5
berkeman said:
Is your laptop on a network? Are there other computers with SD slots on that network? If so, just plug your source SD card into another PC on the network, share that drive on the network, and go to your laptop and copy the files to the destination SD card in your laptop.

This is what I would have asked. Yes, I have a network (do you mean wireless modem) another PC. But I have never tried such a thing. I will try and if required I will ask the steps here (of course after a quest). Is there another way to mount two pc each other without using a wireless modem? Such a usb cable only for making connection between two PC?
 
  • #6
StevieTNZ said:
Most computers (well, at least for me with all my laptops), there is only one SD slot.

Is there a particular reason why you wish to transfer direct to another SD card, without using USB technology (which would allow for you to use a device such as https://www.warehousestationery.co.nz/product/W1899992.html

I don't like USB technology because they are tend to be broken down, but SD technology, by definition, is very solid agains break-downs.

Thank you.
 
  • #7
berkeman said:
Is your laptop on a network? Are there other computers with SD slots on that network? If so, just plug your source SD card into another PC on the network, share that drive on the network, and go to your laptop and copy the files to the destination SD card in your laptop.

Good idea! I didn't think of that idea. But...

mech-eng said:
This is what I would have asked. Yes, I have a network (do you mean wireless modem) another PC. But I have never tried such a thing. I will try and if required I will ask the steps here (of course after a quest). Is there another way to mount two pc each other without using a wireless modem? Such a usb cable only for making connection between two PC?

I'm curious as to how @berkeman's idea up can be set up (interested for my learning also).
 
  • #8
berkeman said:
Is your laptop on a network? Are there other computers with SD slots on that network? If so, just plug your source SD card into another PC on the network, share that drive on the network, and go to your laptop and copy the files to the destination SD card in your laptop.

I cannot do it. Would you please share a link explaining it? In my PC I have Win 8 in the other Win 10

Thank you.
 
  • #9
You need a network server, at least that's the way IT has our corporate network set up. I am able to go to the root of the network (\\ in Windows) and enter in the computer name and get access to its shared folders. I think for home networks you can set up one of the PCs to be the server, but I don't know much about how to do that. Right now you just have a wireless router in your home, but no home network set up to share resources (like printers, etc.)?
 
  • #10
berkeman said:
You need a network server, at least that's the way IT has our corporate network set up. I am able to go to the root of the network (\\ in Windows) and enter in the computer name and get access to its shared folders. I think for home networks you can set up one of the PCs to be the server, but I don't know much about how to do that. Right now you just have a wireless router in your home, but no home network set up to share resources (like printers, etc.)?

Yes, I am now questing for it. But I do not know correct parameters I have found a vid

 
  • #11
Maybe add both computers to the same workgroup (Right click on My Computer > Find Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings > Change Settings > To rename this computer click change, and go down to workgroup). Do that on both computers, restart, and perhaps put the SD cards in the computers and on the computer with the backup SD card, make that drive shareable.
 
  • #12
StevieTNZ said:
Maybe add both computers to the same workgroup (Right click on My Computer > Find Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings > Change Settings > To rename this computer click change, and go down to workgroup). Do that on both computers, restart, and perhaps put the SD cards in the computers and on the computer with the backup SD card, make that drive shareable.

I find computer name

computer name.png


Even though it is in Turkish the options should be in correct place. Now what will I change there?
 

Attachments

  • computer name.png
    computer name.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 860
  • #13
mech-eng said:
I find computer name

View attachment 219020

Even though it is in Turkish the options should be in correct place. Now what will I change there?
Change the setting "Calisma Grubu" to something else (it is currently WORKGROUP) - maybe even "network". That needs to be done on both of your computers. It will prompt you to reboot your machines once you change the workgroup on them.
 
  • Like
Likes mech-eng and jedishrfu
  • #14
StevieTNZ said:
Change the setting "Calisma Grubu" to something else (it is currently WORKGROUP) - maybe even "network". That needs to be done on both of your computers. It will prompt you to reboot your machines once you change the workgroup on them.

Now the two PCs have the setting name and have been rebooted. How will I proceed now?

Thank you.
 
  • #15
On your Windows 10 machine, place in the SD card and create a folder on that card. Right click > Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing. After that I'm sure you'll know what to do. If, accessing that folder, on your Windows 8 computer, it asks for a username and password, use the username and password that you have to log into the Windows 10 computer.
 
  • #16
If the OP wants to avoid USB because of perceived reliability problems, wouldn't the shared network be less reliable than USB on the same PC?
 
  • #17
FactChecker said:
If the OP wants to avoid USB because of perceived reliability problems, wouldn't the shared network be less reliable than USB on the same PC?

Why? Is it because Local network is less secure?

Now, I am taking the backup. This happened very blindly. I am still not quite sure for the configurations and the worst side of this process is its speed. The process is very very slow. Is there any way to speed it up?
This is at least 20x slower and it will take more than 20 hours.
 
  • #18
FactChecker said:
If the OP wants to avoid USB because of perceived reliability problems, wouldn't the shared network be less reliable than USB on the same PC?
It is certainly a complicated approach to backing up the SD card, when a SD card reader connected to the same computer via USB to the same computer as the SD card is in would be the easiest approach. It still storing the documents to the SD card, which is the end result mech-eng is after.

It will be slow if the wireless network can't handle fast speeds, and that writing to a SD card is slower than copying files to a USB.
 
  • #19
FactChecker said:
If the OP wants to avoid USB because of perceived reliability problems, wouldn't the shared network be less reliable than USB on the same PC?

I think this is more "why do something simply if something over-complicated will do?" The internal SD card readers usually (and quite possibly always) are implemented to use a USB interface. No connector, of course. This is how it looks electrically.
 
  • Like
Likes russ_watters, rbelli1 and FactChecker
  • #20
mech-eng said:
Why? Is it because Local network is less secure?

Now, I am taking the backup. This happened very blindly. I am still not quite sure for the configurations and the worst side of this process is its speed. The process is very very slow. Is there any way to speed it up?
This is at least 20x slower and it will take more than 20 hours.
20 hours one must wait to get the end result, then.
 
  • #21
mech-eng said:
Why? Is it because Local network is less secure?

Now, I am taking the backup. This happened very blindly. I am still not quite sure for the configurations and the worst side of this process is its speed. The process is very very slow. Is there any way to speed it up?
This is at least 20x slower and it will take more than 20 hours.
What method is so slow? Are you using a Local Area Network to a second PC or a USB -> SD card on one PC? I would not be surprised by that slow speed if you are trying to back up a large amount of data just by copying it to another drive. You would be better served by a backup utility. You should be able to back up a few hundred Gig in a couple of hours.
 
  • #22
FactChecker said:
What method is so slow? Are you using a Local Area Network to a second PC or a USB -> SD card on one PC? I would not be surprised by that slow speed if you are trying to back up a large amount of data just by copying it to another drive. You would be better served by a backup utility. You should be able to back up a few hundred Gig in a couple of hours.

I am not familiar with backup tools but I will try to be in the future. But I think amount of files are more effective on backup speeds than size of files.
 
  • #23
mech-eng said:
I am not familiar with backup tools but I will try to be in the future. But I think amount of files are more effective on backup speeds than size of files.
You're right, within reason. But a backup tool usually does not re-copy files that have not changed. So that is probably the biggest time saver. I routinely back up about 300 Gb with about 200,000 files to an external USB drive. It's usually done in less than 30 minutes. It takes a lot longer to scan the files for threats. (I hate to make backups that might include threats.) A regular full copy is an overnight job.
 
  • #24
I backup to an online backup storage service, for a monthly fee (unlimited space). That is set to run every 15 minutes [unless I am away from home and am using mobile broadband, then I disable it so I don't go through my data allowance so quickly]. I also copy my main documents to an external HDD which I store at my mum's place, every so often.
 
  • #25
I'm sure there are battery powered WiFi or Bluetooth SD card readers.
 
  • #26
CWatters said:
I'm sure there are battery powered WiFi or Bluetooth SD card readers.
There are even SD cards with radio links (WiFi?) built in. They are used in Digital Cameras so you don't have to mess with cables to download the photos to your computer.

Try this Google search for details:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=sd+card+wifi+how+it+works
 

Related to Problem of having no more than one SD slot

1. What is an SD slot and why is it important?

An SD slot is a small opening on a device that allows for the insertion of a Secure Digital (SD) memory card. This slot is important because it allows the user to expand the device's storage capacity by using an external memory card. It is commonly found on devices such as cameras, smartphones, and laptops.

2. Why is having only one SD slot a problem?

Having only one SD slot can be a problem because it limits the user's ability to expand the device's storage capacity. This can be particularly frustrating for individuals who work with large files or have a lot of media such as photos and videos.

3. Can I use a USB adapter to overcome the problem of having only one SD slot?

Yes, you can use a USB adapter to overcome the problem of having only one SD slot. These adapters allow you to connect multiple SD cards to a single USB port, providing additional storage options for your device.

4. Are there any alternatives to using an SD card for storage?

Yes, there are alternatives to using an SD card for storage. Some devices may have built-in storage options such as a hard drive or solid-state drive (SSD). Additionally, cloud storage services can also be used to store files remotely and access them from any device.

5. Can I transfer files between devices if they each only have one SD slot?

Yes, you can still transfer files between devices even if they each have only one SD slot. This can be done by using a USB adapter or by transferring the files wirelessly through a cloud storage service or a peer-to-peer sharing app.

Similar threads

  • Computing and Technology
Replies
8
Views
6K
  • Computing and Technology
2
Replies
35
Views
3K
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
7
Views
1K
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
18
Views
3K
  • Electrical Engineering
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
15
Views
2K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
2
Views
862
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
4
Views
4K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
6
Views
1K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
19
Views
5K
Back
Top