Problem solving of complex physics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to solving complex physics problems and the role of creativity in this process. The speakers mention techniques such as writing down the problem, making drawings or graphs, and dividing the problem into smaller parts. They also touch on the importance of asking the right questions and considering different perspectives in order to fully understand the problem and find the best solution. The conversation also highlights the need for new and creative ways of problem solving when faced with new challenges.
physics user1
What kind of steps do you use when you need to solve a complex physics problem?
What kind of questiono do you ask yourself?

Richard Feynman said that you have to write down the problem and then think hard, but what thoughts and questions can help yourself find a creative solution?
Is creativity a random and lucky thing?

Which approach is the most useful, top down or bottom up? I think top down what about you?

In my opinion is important to make a drawing or a graph and imaginate the situation, eventually if the problem is too complex dividing it in parts, but sometimes is easy to make mistakes or not seeing the solution or in whitch way you need to divide the problem, or at least finding the best solution, the creative one that one that is elegant and clever, what questions and what steps do you need to follow in the solving process in order to help yourself to find ideas or to fully understand the problem, I mean seeing the problem by all the angulations, understanding the parts of the problem and not forgetting anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Cozma Alex.

I guess it depends on how you "divide" things up - there are many ways to do so.

One of the things with problem solving is that there are many ways to organize and combine information in order to get some resolution to the problem itself.

The thing is that often new ways of doing this are needed to solve new kinds of problems. If you understand how things can be broken up then that can be quite useful.

Likes physics user1

1. How do I approach a complex physics problem?

The first step in approaching a complex physics problem is to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Identify the given information and what is being asked to find. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and apply relevant physics principles and equations to each part.

2. What are some common strategies for solving complex physics problems?

Some common strategies for solving complex physics problems include drawing diagrams, using equations and formulas, and breaking down the problem into simpler components. It is also helpful to check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

3. How do I know if my solution to a complex physics problem is correct?

To check the correctness of your solution, you can use dimensional analysis, which involves checking the units of your final answer to make sure they are consistent with the units of the given information. You can also plug your solution back into the original problem and see if it satisfies all given conditions.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a complex physics problem?

If you get stuck on a complex physics problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try working through similar, simpler problems to build your understanding of the concepts involved. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher, tutor, or fellow student can provide valuable insight and assistance.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for complex physics problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills, practice regularly with a variety of physics problems. Make sure to understand the underlying concepts and principles rather than just memorizing equations. It can also be helpful to work in a group or discuss problems with others to gain different perspectives and approaches.