I making math problem solving fun (for me)

In summary, the author says that she loves physics but doesn't enjoy math as much. She started studying classical mechanics last year and found it to be fun, but when she solves problems in topics like trigonometry and sequence and series she finds that many questions require clever manipulations which she doesn't think are worth the hassle. She also says that the questions we are given at school are difficult but not as difficult as the questions we are given for university entrance exams. The author wants to develop skill in solving problems, and says that doing so requires practicing solving lots of problems.
Hamiltonian
I love physics and I know it's quite hypocritical to say that I don't enjoy math that much.

I started studying classical mechanics at the beginning of the previous year, all problems were amazingly fun to solve and could be related to the real world very easily, obviously, I had to get a good grip on single variable calculus and basics of vectors to understand the subject properly, hence naturally I grew interested in calculus!

but when I solve problems in topics like trigonometry or sequence and series most questions require clever manipulations to reach a final answer and many a time I think what's the point of landing at a solution after so much hard work when I could have just used a calculator or that I would never encounter something so difficult in the real world. Sometimes the manipulations needed to be done are quite elegant but I still don't think they are worth the hassle. (even coordinate geometry gets quite fiddly sometimes)

The questions we are given at school(as assignments) have difficulty below the level of math olympiads but are focused only on solving problems for university entrance exams and due to this most questions we are given are bland(although difficult).

I want help in making solving "boring"(I know it's subjective) but difficult problems fun!

(i attached a few problems as an example of what I am talking about)

Attachments

• prblm1.jpeg
    prblm1.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 100
  • prblm2.jpeg
    prblm2.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
While not everything in life is going to be fun, I suppose there's a point in making the effort to try and enjoy the less fun elements as much as you can.

If you're the kind of person who finds problems more interesting when you can connect them with a real world application, then at the risk of stating the obvious, it's worth spending some time when you review your material to make those real world connections yourself. Spend some time reading beyond what's assigned and look for how these concepts are applied, or more importantly, how you can apply them in scenarios that interest you.

Something else to keep in mind too is that the point of a lot of mathematical exercises is to develop skill. Remember there's a difference between knowledge and skill. I can explain to you how an internal combustion engine works, but I still gladly take my car to a mechanic when it needs any work beyond some very basic stuff. I could still do the work, but for me to change brake pads, for example, would take me a very long time compared to a mechanic because the mechanic is much more skilled than I am. In math you develop those skills through practice solving lots of problems.

Likes Hamiltonian

1. How can you make math problem solving fun?

There are many ways to make math problem solving fun. Some ideas include using games and puzzles, incorporating real-life examples or scenarios, and challenging yourself with new and interesting problems.

2. Why is it important to make math problem solving fun?

Making math problem solving fun can help improve your overall attitude towards math and make it more enjoyable. It can also help you stay engaged and motivated to continue learning and practicing math skills.

3. What are some strategies for making math problem solving fun?

Some strategies for making math problem solving fun include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps, using visual aids or manipulatives, and working with others to solve problems collaboratively.

4. How can making math problem solving fun benefit my learning?

Making math problem solving fun can benefit your learning by helping you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as increasing your confidence and enjoyment in math. It can also make the learning process more engaging and memorable.

5. Are there any specific resources or tools you recommend for making math problem solving fun?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to make math problem solving fun. Some examples include online games and apps, math-based board games, and interactive math websites. You can also create your own fun activities and challenges using everyday objects or materials.