Problem using conservation of angular momentum

In summary, the ball has to accelerate in the vertical direction in order to change its b value from 0.3 to 0.2. This means an unbalanced force in the vertical direction, which subsequently means having an unbalanced moment about the middle of the cone.
john001

Homework Statement

A 0.2kg ball and its supporting cord are revolving about the vertical axis on the fixed smooth conical surface with an angular velocity of 4 rad/s. The ball is held in the position b=0.3m by the tension T in the cord. If the distance b is reduced to the constant value of 0.2m by increasing the tension T in the cord, compute the new angular velocity w and the work done on the system by T.

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum[/tex]M=dH/dt

H=r x mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this problem using conservation of angular momentum and it came out correct, but I can't for the life of me understand why momentum is conserved. I understand that the force in the radial direction does not have a moment about the radial direction because the cross product is zero, but what about the vertical direction? Doesn't the ball have to accelerate in the vertical direction in order to change its b value from 0.3 to 0.2? And doesn't an acceleration in the vertical direction mean an unbalanced force in the vertical direction, which subsequently means having an unbalanced moment about the middle of the cone?

Please let me know if I'm not making sense.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,249
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

john001 said:
I solved this problem using conservation of angular momentum and it came out correct, but I can't for the life of me understand why momentum is conserved.
I understand that the force in the radial direction does not have a moment about the radial direction because the cross product is zero, but what about the vertical direction? Doesn't the ball have to accelerate in the vertical direction in order to change its b value from 0.3 to 0.2? And doesn't an acceleration in the vertical direction mean an unbalanced force in the vertical direction, which subsequently means having an unbalanced moment about the middle of the cone?

Hi john001! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If you take moments about the vertex of the cone, then the "vertical" force goes through the vertex, and so its moment is zero, and the angular momentum about the vertex will not change.

You are worrying abut "an unbalanced moment about the middle of the cone" … so you are taking moments about a point other than the vertex. Even so, this is to be expected … the moment (a vector) will be horizontal, so it should produce a rotation about the (instantaneously) parallel horizontal axis through the centre of the cone … which is exactly what does happen, since when it goes up the cone it is rotating about a horizontal axis! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
Hi john001! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If you take moments about the vertex of the cone, then the "vertical" force goes through the vertex, and so its moment is zero, and the angular momentum about the vertex will not change.

You are worrying abut "an unbalanced moment about the middle of the cone" … so you are taking moments about a point other than the vertex. Even so, this is to be expected … the moment (a vector) will be horizontal, so it should produce a rotation about the (instantaneously) parallel horizontal axis through the centre of the cone … which is exactly what does happen, since when it goes up the cone it is rotating about a horizontal axis! :biggrin:

Thank you very much tiny-tim.

It makes sense now.

1. What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the total amount of rotational motion in a system will remain the same over time.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved due to the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant. In the case of angular momentum, the rotational motion of objects in a system can transfer from one object to another, but the total amount of angular momentum will remain the same.

3. What is an example of a problem using conservation of angular momentum?

An example of a problem using conservation of angular momentum is a figure skater spinning on the ice. The skater starts with their arms extended and then pulls them in towards their body. This decreases their moment of inertia and increases their angular velocity, demonstrating the conservation of angular momentum.

4. What is the formula for calculating angular momentum?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω (omega) is the angular velocity. This formula shows that the angular momentum is directly proportional to the moment of inertia and angular velocity.

5. How does conservation of angular momentum apply to everyday life?

Conservation of angular momentum applies to everyday life in many ways. For example, it is essential in understanding how objects move in circular motion, such as the Earth orbiting the sun. It also plays a role in activities like sports, such as when a pitcher throws a curveball or a gymnast performs a spin on the uneven bars.