Problem with finding the complementary solution of ODE

• Thread starter Uku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation focused on solving a problem on Pauls notes webpage using variation of parameters. The fundamental set of solutions was formed on the basis of the complementary solution, which consisted of y_{1}(t)=e^t and y_{2}(t)=t+1. However, the individual arrived at a different complementary solution using the characteristic polynomial method, which only works for constant coefficients. Further discussion led to the conclusion that the set was given by default and the process of arriving at y_{1} and y_{2} was not discussed.
Uku
Hello!

On Pauls notes webpage, there is the following problem to be solved by variation of parameters:

[itex]ty''-(t+1)y'+y=t^2[/itex] (1)
On the page, the fundamental set of solutions if formed on the basis of the complementary solution. The set is:
[itex]y_{1}(t)=e^t[/itex] and [itex]y_{2}(t)=t+1[/itex]

Now, I must be missing something here. Since I get the complementary solution for the homogeneous equation of (1):

[itex]r=\frac{(t+1)+/- \sqrt{(t+1)^2-4t}}{2t}[/itex] which solves as [itex]r_{1}=1[/itex] and [itex]r_{2}=\frac{1}{t}[/itex] which would give a complementary solution of:

[itex]Y_{c}=C_{1}e^{t}+C_{2}e^{\frac{1}{t}t}=C_{1}e^{t}+C_{2}e^1[/itex]
from which I would get [itex]y_{1}(t)=e^t[/itex] and [itex]y_{2}(t)=e[/itex]

What have I missed, must be simple...

Regards,
U.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Uku! :smile:
Uku said:
I get the complementary solution for the homogeneous equation of (1):

[itex]r=\frac{(t+1)+/- \sqrt{(t+1)^2-4t}}{2t}[/itex] which solves as [itex]r_{1}=1[/itex] and [itex]r_{2}=\frac{1}{t}[/itex] which would give a complementary solution of:

[itex]Y_{c}=C_{1}e^{t}+C_{2}e^{\frac{1}{t}t}[/itex] …

no, the characteristic polynomial method only works for constant coefficients,

not for coefficients which depend on t

Okay, that is true, thank you. I now read from his example that the set is given by default.

Still: how would you arrive at [itex]y_{1}[/itex] and [itex]y_{2}[/itex]?

U.

dunno :redface:

Hello U.,

It seems like you have made a mistake in your calculation for the complementary solution. The correct solution should be y_{c}=C_{1}e^{t}+C_{2}(t+1). This can be verified by plugging it into the original differential equation and solving for the constants.

In general, finding the complementary solution for a differential equation can be tricky and often requires careful calculations and attention to detail. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are correct. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend seeking help from a colleague or a tutor to ensure accuracy in your solution. Good luck!

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What is a complementary solution?

A complementary solution, also known as a particular solution, is a solution to an ODE that satisfies the given boundary conditions. It is necessary for finding the complete solution to the ODE.

3. Why is finding the complementary solution important?

Finding the complementary solution is important because it allows us to find the complete solution to the ODE, which can then be used to make predictions and solve real-world problems.

4. What methods can be used to find the complementary solution?

There are several methods for finding the complementary solution of an ODE, including the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms.

5. Can the complementary solution be found analytically or numerically?

The complementary solution can be found both analytically and numerically, depending on the complexity of the ODE and the tools and techniques available. In some cases, an analytical solution may not exist and a numerical approach must be used.