Problem with PF's email configuration?

• Thread starter vela
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that the user was not receiving notification emails from PF and upon investigating the headers, it was found that the DMARC policy for the domain physicsforums.com was not set up correctly. This was causing the messages to fail and be quarantined. The user opened a ticket with their email host and found that the messages were also failing DKIM, which was likely due to a missing TXT record for s35221._domainkey.physicsforums.com. The record was added and the issue was resolved.
vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Just recently, notification emails from PF started ending up in my junk mailbox, so I took a look at the headers today and found this:
X-Spam-known-sender: no ("Email failed DMARC policy for domain")
X-Spam-sender-reputation: 0 (email; expectedauth)
X-Spam-score: 8.5
X-Spam-hits: HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS 0.248, HTML_MESSAGE 0.001, ME_HAS_VSSU 0.001,
ME_QUARANTINE 5, ME_SC_NH -0.001, ME_SENDERREP_DENY 4,
RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW -0.7, SPF_HELO_PASS -0.001, SPF_PASS -0.001,
T_SCC_BODY_TEXT_LINE -0.01, LANGUAGES en, BAYES_USED none,
SA_VERSION 3.4.6
X-Spam-source: IP='43.228.184.84', Host='a1i84.smtp2go.com', Country='US',
FromHeader='com', MailFrom='com'
X-Spam-charsets: plain='utf-8', html='utf-8'
X-IgnoreVacation: yes ("Email failed DMARC policy for domain")
It looks like DMARC isn't set up correctly for the domain physicsforums.com.

Physics news on Phys.org
At least you have email notifications. As I was saying in this post a year ago, I still don't receive them anymore. I solely rely on the RSS feed now.

• Wow
Likes BillTre
I opened a ticket with my email host since I'm not an expert in deciphering email headers. I'll post what they think is going on when they get back to me.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I switched to my Gmail address to receive notifications last night and received two early this morning. According to Google, both messages failed DMARC, so it looks like there probably is a problem on PF's end.

smtp.mailfrom="bT.yc7jkiqb30=frw9nf2rls6d=2k79d3e5m0@track.smtp2go.com";
dmarc=fail (p=QUARANTINE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=physicsforums.com

Rereading the OP, the SpamAssassin score in "X-Spam-score" is way over 5, which is the usual limit for spam. It didn't fail DMARC: DMARC says you must quarantine - hence fail - when it is considered spam; and it is.

The two big failed tests are ME_QUARANTINE (5) and ME_SENDERREP_DENY (4). I didn't find the first one anywhere, but https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/articles/360060591413-Spam-filtering It looks like it is based on your opinion (the receiver):

This score will be applied to the ME_SENDERREP* SpamAssassin tags, and will be based on your personal reputation for the sender.

You spurred me to look into how DMARC and DKIM work. Messages from PF are failing DKIM and therefore failing DMARC. PF's policy for failed messages is to quarantine them. That's what ME_QUARANTINE signifies. ME_SENDERREP_DENY is probably set because it looks like the message is from a sender spoofing physicsforums.com.

I think the problem is that there's no TXT record for s35221._domainkey.physicsforums.com, which is where the public key for the domain is supposed to be.

Authentication-Results: mx1.messagingengine.com;
dkim=invalid (public key: not available, 0-bit key sha256)
header.d=physicsforums.com header.i=@physicsforums.com
header.b=BODxOJAT header.a=-sha256 header.s=s35221 x-bits=0;

Last edited:
Ok I've added the dkim record according to my SMTP provider. I know I set this up in the past. Very strange the record went missing. Maybe when we moved DNS to Cloudflare. Thanks so much for the heads up! Let me know if you still see issues.

Likes berkeman and Wrichik Basu
It's working now both at Google and at Fastmail.

Likes Wrichik Basu, jack action, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person

1. What is the problem with PF's email configuration?

The problem with PF's email configuration is that it is not working properly. Users are experiencing issues with sending and receiving emails, and some emails are not being delivered or are being marked as spam.

2. How is this problem affecting PF's operations?

This problem is affecting PF's operations by causing delays in communication and potentially missing important emails. It can also lead to a decrease in productivity as employees spend time troubleshooting email issues instead of focusing on their work.

3. What could be causing the email configuration problem?

There could be several causes for the email configuration problem, such as incorrect server settings, outdated software, or a problem with the email server itself. It could also be due to a security issue, such as a spam filter blocking legitimate emails.

4. How can the email configuration problem be resolved?

The first step to resolving the email configuration problem is to identify the root cause. This may involve checking server settings, updating software, or contacting the email service provider for assistance. Once the cause is identified, appropriate steps can be taken to fix the issue.

5. How can PF prevent future email configuration problems?

To prevent future email configuration problems, PF can regularly check and update server settings and software, as well as implement security measures to protect against spam and other email issues. It is also important to have a backup plan in case of any future email configuration problems.