Problems and solutions in quantum mechanics by Tamvakis Kyriakos

In summary: But based on the conversation, it seems like it may not be the best option for a quick review of concepts. "In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum mechanics and books for learners. The speakers recommend David Griffith's introduction to quantum mechanics as a classic and beneficial for beginners, but also mention the importance of having a strong foundation in classical mechanics, linear algebra, and partial differential equations. Another suggested book is Quantum Mechanics: An accessible introduction by Robert Scherrer. It is also mentioned that certain books may not be suitable for quick revision of concepts."
ank7890
has anybody read this book?? DO you think solution to questions of this book are good ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have never read about the book. David Griffth 's introduction to quantum mechanics is better for learners. It is a classic.

yeah it's good if you are starting this course ..i want to actually practice something for some exam and wanted to do it little fast ..griffith's would take a little while ! i would be more awesome if someone can suggest me some book that's beneficial for quick revision of concepts or something ??

ank7890 said:
yeah it's good if you are starting this course ..i want to actually practice something for some exam and wanted to do it little fast ..griffith's would take a little while ! i would be more awesome if someone can suggest me some book that's beneficial for quick revision of concepts or something ??

I have learned quantum mechanics 6 years ago. I got my PHD in theoritical physics now. When I studied QM for the first time , I can't understand until I meet Griffith's book. It is very worth reading. I give you a suggestion that there is not an easy way to study QM.
Your must be familiar to classical mechanics of Newton's form, Lagrange and Hamilton's form, linear algebra, partial differential equation. With that kind of knowledge, you can study QM. Without this kind of knowlege, you may learn how to use QM, you can't understand QM.

Griffiths is definitely number one for an introduction; however, Quantum Mechanics: An accessible introduction by Robert Scherrer is an excellent text as well as it includes mathematics chapters on linear algebra and the such.

As for the book you mentioned, I have never heard of it.

1. What are some common problems in quantum mechanics?

Some common problems in quantum mechanics include the measurement problem, the interpretation of wave function collapse, and the challenges of reconciling quantum mechanics with general relativity.

2. How does quantum mechanics address these problems?

Quantum mechanics addresses these problems through various theories and principles, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, the Many-Worlds interpretation, and the uncertainty principle.

3. Can quantum mechanics provide solutions to real-world problems?

Yes, quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including in fields such as computing, cryptography, and nanotechnology. It has also been used to explain phenomena in chemistry, biology, and other areas of science.

4. What is the role of mathematics in understanding quantum mechanics?

Mathematics is essential in understanding and describing quantum mechanics. The theory relies heavily on complex mathematical equations and concepts, such as vector spaces, operators, and eigenvalues.

5. Is there still ongoing research and development in quantum mechanics?

Yes, quantum mechanics is a constantly evolving field, and there is ongoing research and development in various aspects of the theory. Scientists continue to explore new applications and develop new theories to better understand the complexities of the quantum world.