Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with Word Online and "Standard" Word

1. Jan 20, 2016 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,
    I often send files to myself as a way of saving documents (wyhen I forget my flash drive, or
    have trouble using it.) . Still, it seems like microsoft often saves or translates by default, the files
    I attach into their respective office online equivalents, e.g., word documents are saved into word online documents, etc. But then the "standard" machine versions cannot open the online versions. Am I
    missing something obvious here, or is this your standard microsoft incompetence?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you attach them as 'title.doc.xyz' so their format stays unchanged and when opening the mail just strip off the fantasy extension.

4. Jan 20, 2016 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The strange thing is that I had not even saved the content as a word document. I had sent myself an email with something I had written and somehow windows decided to save the contents of the email as a word file, as an online version of word file.

5. Jan 20, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

This is why I hate those latest Windows versions (≥ 8). They think they have to think for you all the time. It's simply annoying.

6. Jan 20, 2016 #5
    You could try a different email software.
    Or you use another way of saving the file. e.g. dropbox or google drive.

7. Jan 20, 2016 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Problem is I have a lot of people who know me by my Outlook address. Otherwise, I would change in a second.
    But, yes, I will save somewhere else next time.

8. Jan 21, 2016 #7

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The other alternative is to zip the files that you're emailing. I haven't heard of Outlook opening them and modifying files inside - yet. Interestingly, one of my co-workers was having a problem with Outlook on his desktop not recognizing a current version of a file and sending a previous version instead. Really odd behavior. I would have liked to debug it further but he gave up after we ran a few email tests.

9. Jan 21, 2016 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook