Problems with Word Online and "Standard" Word

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Standard
In summary, Microsoft often saves or translates files by default, but this can lead to problems when files are opened in other programs. The solution is to attach the files as "title.doc.xyz" so their format remains unchanged and the file extension is stripped off.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I often send files to myself as a way of saving documents (wyhen I forget my flash drive, or
have trouble using it.) . Still, it seems like microsoft often saves or translates by default, the files
I attach into their respective office online equivalents, e.g., word documents are saved into word online documents, etc. But then the "standard" machine versions cannot open the online versions. Am I
missing something obvious here, or is this your standard microsoft incompetence?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Why don't you attach them as 'title.doc.xyz' so their format stays unchanged and when opening the mail just strip off the fantasy extension.

Likes WWGD
fresh_42 said:
Why don't you attach them as 'title.doc.xyz' so their format stays unchanged and when opening the mail just strip off the fantasy extension.
The strange thing is that I had not even saved the content as a word document. I had sent myself an email with something I had written and somehow windows decided to save the contents of the email as a word file, as an online version of word file.

This is why I hate those latest Windows versions (≥ 8). They think they have to think for you all the time. It's simply annoying.

You could try a different email software.
Or you use another way of saving the file. e.g. dropbox or google drive.

DrZoidberg said:
You could try a different email software.
Or you use another way of saving the file. e.g. dropbox or google drive.
Problem is I have a lot of people who know me by my Outlook address. Otherwise, I would change in a second.
But, yes, I will save somewhere else next time.

The other alternative is to zip the files that you're emailing. I haven't heard of Outlook opening them and modifying files inside - yet. Interestingly, one of my co-workers was having a problem with Outlook on his desktop not recognizing a current version of a file and sending a previous version instead. Really odd behavior. I would have liked to debug it further but he gave up after we ran a few email tests.

Likes WWGD
Likes WWGD

1. What is the difference between Word Online and Standard Word?

Word Online is a web-based version of Microsoft Word that allows users to access and edit documents in a browser without needing to download the software. Standard Word, on the other hand, refers to the desktop version of Microsoft Word that is typically purchased and installed on a computer.

2. Are there any compatibility issues between Word Online and Standard Word?

While both versions of Word share similar features and functions, there are some minor differences that may affect compatibility. For example, some advanced formatting options or macros may not be supported in Word Online.

3. Can documents be seamlessly transferred between Word Online and Standard Word?

Yes, documents can be easily transferred between the two versions of Word. However, it is important to note that some formatting or features may be lost or altered in the transfer process.

4. Can multiple users collaborate on a document in both Word Online and Standard Word?

Yes, both versions of Word support real-time collaboration, allowing multiple users to work on a document simultaneously. However, the collaboration features may differ slightly between the two versions.

5. Are there any other limitations or issues to consider when using Word Online or Standard Word?

Some users may experience slower performance when working with large or complex documents in Word Online compared to Standard Word. Additionally, Word Online may have limited offline capabilities and may require a stable internet connection to access and edit documents.