Procedure to determine total kjeldahl-nitrogen Kj-N for leachate

• Thread starter nhfs49
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Procedure
In summary, the conversation discusses a procedure for determining total Kjeldahl-nitrogen Kj-N for leachate. The individual is looking for an alternative method to the hach method and is participating in a universal proficiency test. They ask for help finding the procedure, and it is mentioned that ASTM methods are copyrighted and cannot be found online. However, EPA methods are available for download. The individual is directed to a specific EPA method and the conversation ends with a statement about the possibility of deducing the existence of immortal souls through logical analysis of behavior. It is not clear if this statement is true or false.
nhfs49
Kindly recommend a procedure to determine total kjeldahl-nitrogen Kj-N for leachate.

I use the hach method and I want to compare it with another one especially that I'm participating in a universal proficiency test.

Thanks in advence.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Astm D-1426-03

thank you my friend.i'll search for it.

Can someone tell me where to find the details of this procedure. I couldn't find anything on net, and i cannot buy the ASTM Book.

Thanks in advance.

nhfs49 said:
Can someone tell me where to find the details of this procedure. I couldn't find anything on net, and i cannot buy the ASTM Book.

Thanks in advance.

I am an environmental chemist and have considerable experience with this test.

ASTM methods are copyrighted and so will NOT be found online.

But there perfectly good perfectly available EPA methods that work just as well.

Here is a link that has all the methods you can download:

http://www.cornerstonelab.com/Inside-Pages/downloads.html

Here's the method you're looking for . . .

http://www.cornerstonelab.com/EPA-Methods/100-400/351_3.PDF

Hope this helps.

Jeff Corkern
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Consider the following as a statement of logic and rank it as "True" or "False."

"If people possesses immortal souls, it should be possible to deduce this by logical analysis of their behavior."

www.theninepointfivetheses.blogspot.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

1. What is Kjeldahl-Nitrogen (Kj-N)?

Kjeldahl-Nitrogen is a method used to determine the total nitrogen content in a sample, usually in the form of ammonia or organic nitrogen compounds. It involves a series of chemical reactions to convert all forms of nitrogen into ammonia, which can then be measured and quantified.

2. Why is it important to measure Kjeldahl-Nitrogen in leachate?

Leachate is a liquid that forms when water passes through waste materials, such as in landfills. It can contain high levels of nitrogen, which can contribute to pollution in surrounding areas if not properly managed. Measuring Kjeldahl-Nitrogen in leachate can help determine the potential for environmental harm and inform waste management practices.

3. What is the procedure for determining total Kjeldahl-Nitrogen in leachate?

The procedure typically involves collecting a representative sample of the leachate, adding sulfuric acid to convert all forms of nitrogen into ammonia, and then distilling the ammonia into a receiving solution. The amount of ammonia in the receiving solution is then measured, and the total Kjeldahl-Nitrogen content is calculated based on this measurement.

4. What are the limitations of the Kjeldahl-Nitrogen method?

The Kjeldahl-Nitrogen method only measures the total nitrogen content and does not differentiate between different forms of nitrogen. It also requires specialized equipment and chemicals, making it more time-consuming and expensive compared to other nitrogen analysis methods. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by factors such as sample preparation and human error.

5. How can the results of Kjeldahl-Nitrogen analysis be used?

The results of Kjeldahl-Nitrogen analysis can provide valuable information for waste management and environmental protection. It can help determine the effectiveness of treatment processes for leachate, monitor changes in nitrogen levels over time, and inform decision-making for waste management practices. It can also be used to assess compliance with regulatory standards for nitrogen levels in leachate.