Production of Pure, Dry Oxygen from Silver Oxide

In summary: Use gloves and apron if possible.In summary, you are trying to produce pure oxygen from silver oxide by heating it until the silver and oxygen separate. You need to make sure that the gas is safe to work with, and you must use high school laboratory equipment that is not likely to shatter. You need to mix the silver oxide with calcium oxide to make sure that any water is removed, and then vacuum seal the mixture. You heat the mixture until it turns metallic, and then draw the oxygen off.
Catatonyx
Hi everyone.

I have been presented with a problem- to produce a set amount of pure, dry oxygen in any way I can, provided it is safe and accessible. I have chosen to tackle the problem by heating silver oxide until the silver and oxygen separate, however there remains the problem of isolating the gas, drying it and collecting it. I was going to displace the gas with distilled water and then somehow get the gas to go through a condensing tube filled with drierite to remove the water vapour (quick note: all this is done in vacuum sealed glassware) so I can collect it. However, gas is a bum to work with, because it wants to fill its entire container.

I'm working with high school laboratory equipment, so I unfortunately can't supercool my oxygen. I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas. Also, if anyone sees anything wrong with my partial solution, please tell me before I embarrass myself and my chem teacher.

Kind regards,
Cat.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Firstly, you are probably on an achievable track.

How much is your "certain amount"? And would your equipment available stretch to:

(1) a vacuum pump or vacuum line of some sort (but not a water pump), and
(2) a round bottomed gas flask that will withstand a temperature of 300-400°C
(3) a means of vacuum sealing this flask with a single exit nozzle and a vacuum tap

??

If so, you can proceed as follows

(1) make a calculation with the gas laws to find the right amount of sliver oxide to use. It must make a pressure of no more than 1 atmosphere of oxygen at 300°C if it all decomposes.

(2) grind it gently if necessary in a mortar and pestle. Do not grind hard or you will lose oxygen from local frictional heating.

(3) mix it with about double the quantity of quicklime -- calcium oxide -- to ensure that
any water is well and truly removed from the system in the heating step later on.

(4) add the mixed powders to the bottom of the flask, and vacuum seal it. Pump the air out of the flask and close the tap.

(5) gently heat the flask from the outside until you can see that metallic flecks have replaced the black/brown material in the powder. This is best done in a fume hood with the sash pulled down to avoid danger if the flask should break. The temperature required is 300-400°C. You will probably have no way of reliably checking it

(6) when the flask cools down, it should contain roughly half an atmosphere of oxygen, along with the solid material, but there is no need for separation. the oxygen is accessible through the tap, and can be drawn off

These procedures come very close to the limit of what is acceptable on this forum; please show your intended procedure to your teacher/supervisor, and work under their direct supervision, and in their presence.

-- Glass (pyrex or any other sort) vessels are not unlikely to shatter if their internal pressure differs much from 1 atmosphere.

-- Both silver oxide and quicklime are powders that can cause significant burns if they get onto your skin.

1. How is pure, dry oxygen produced from silver oxide?

The production of pure, dry oxygen from silver oxide involves heating silver oxide in a crucible or furnace until it decomposes into oxygen gas and silver metal. The oxygen gas is then collected and purified to remove any impurities.

2. What is the chemical equation for the production of pure, dry oxygen from silver oxide?

The chemical equation for this process is: 2Ag2O(s) → 4Ag(s) + O2(g). This means that for every 2 moles of silver oxide, 4 moles of silver metal and 1 mole of oxygen gas are produced.

3. Why is silver oxide used to produce pure, dry oxygen?

Silver oxide is used because it readily decomposes into oxygen gas and silver metal when heated. This reaction is also highly efficient, producing pure oxygen without any by-products.

4. What are the advantages of using pure, dry oxygen produced from silver oxide?

Pure, dry oxygen produced from silver oxide is free from impurities and moisture, making it suitable for a variety of applications such as in medical settings, industrial processes, and scientific experiments. It also has a high purity level, which is important for certain reactions and processes.

5. Is there a risk of explosion during the production of pure, dry oxygen from silver oxide?

There is a potential risk of explosion if the heating process is not carefully controlled. Silver oxide is a strong oxidizing agent and can react violently with certain substances. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and protocols when handling and heating silver oxide.