Prof and grad students discuss Peer Review of scientific journal articles

In summary, the conversation is about a highly informative discussion that is in a foreign language but has excellent subtitles. The URL was removed due to potential controversy, but keywords for a Google search were provided. The conversation also mentioned a peer review video on YouTube and the use of subtitles in videos. The participants also shared their opinions on aesthetic judgement and the acting skills of Bruno Ganz. Some recommended movies featuring Ganz were also mentioned.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Highly informative discussion
It's in a foreign language but that's OK because there are excellent subtitles.
I decided to remove URL because may be too controversial, but will try to give googlesearch keywords

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
marcus said:
Highly informative discussion
It's in a foreign language but that's OK because there are excellent subtitles.
I decided to remove URL because may be too controversial, but will try to give googlesearch keywords

I hope no one tells him I'm the third reviewer... :uhh::eek:

EDIT: Lol, I enjoyed it...

Glad you enjoyed it! So real it had me shaking with laughter even afterwards just recalling.
I think the best way to find it is to go to youtube
http://www.youtube.com/
and put this in the youtube search window at the top of the page:
peer_review_1945

If you have a better handle on it, please share.

I am reluctant to put a direct link because some of the terms used in describing the peer review process might be thought inappropriate.

These subtitles issues are explained here.

Andre said:
These subtitles issues are explained here.
I think he shows an understandable concern over typography in that one, and perceptive aesthetic judgment.
This is one of the few I've seen besides "Peer Review" that I like.
Also Bruno Ganz is a pro. No matter what the parodists do with Ganz footage he is still a great actor.
Wings of Desire (Der Himmel über Berlin)
Vitus
Bread and Tulips

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of peer review in scientific journal articles?

The purpose of peer review is to ensure the quality and validity of scientific research by having experts in the field critically evaluate and provide feedback on a submitted article before it is published. This helps to identify any flaws or errors in the research and improve the overall credibility of the article.

2. Who are the peer reviewers and how are they chosen?

Peer reviewers are typically experts in the same field as the article being reviewed. They are chosen by the journal's editor or editorial board based on their expertise, reputation, and previous publications in the field. Some journals also allow authors to suggest potential reviewers.

3. How long does the peer review process typically take?

The length of the peer review process can vary depending on the journal and the complexity of the research being reviewed. On average, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months for the peer review process to be completed. However, some journals have expedited review options for urgent or time-sensitive research.

4. What happens during the peer review process?

During the peer review process, the reviewers carefully read and evaluate the article, looking for strengths and weaknesses in the research, methodology, and conclusions. They may also suggest revisions or additional experiments that could strengthen the article. The reviewers then submit their feedback to the editor, who makes a decision on whether to accept, reject, or request revisions for the article.

5. What are some common reasons for an article to be rejected during peer review?

Some common reasons for article rejection during peer review include inadequate or flawed research design, lack of novelty or significance in the findings, poor writing or organization, and failure to follow ethical guidelines. Additionally, if the article does not align with the scope or focus of the journal, it may also be rejected.