Professors won't write recommendations?

• Thread starter tog_attack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to improve their chances of getting into a math PhD program, despite having a strong academic background and test scores. They mention having a conflict with their previous professors and not having strong letters of recommendation as a result. They are considering taking graduate courses or volunteering to gain experience and are seeking suggestions from others. A helpful suggestion is to directly ask their previous professors for letters of recommendation.
tog_attack
Hi all, this post regards my attempt to get into a math phD program. I have just completed my undergrad BS in math with nearly a 4.0 g.p.a., and I've already taken both the subject and general GRE exams and scored well enough where I would have been able to get into programs.

The problem I ran into is that during my last few years as an undergrad, I was quite outspoken against what was essentially an "old boys club" math department at my small school, and I managed to alienate myself from the professors that could have written me letters of recommendation, which it seems are the most important part of the application process.

Now I'm kind of stuck as to where I should go from here. My only real options as far as I can think would be to move to a different school and take some graduate courses or perhaps volunteer to help professors with some research. I figured I would ask you guys as to what my best course of action might be?

Any help is appreciated, and I thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you actually ASKED them for letters, or are you just assuming they won't because you offered criticism of them in the past?

A good first step is to actually ask them for letters of recommendations. I'm sure you'll find some willing to do that.

1. Why won't professors write me a recommendation?

There could be a variety of reasons why a professor may not be able or willing to write you a recommendation. Some common reasons include not knowing you well enough, not having a positive enough impression of you, or simply not having the time or resources to write additional recommendations.

2. What can I do if my professor won't write me a recommendation?

If your professor is unable or unwilling to write you a recommendation, you can try asking a different professor or a supervisor from a job or volunteer experience. You can also consider reaching out to a professor from a previous course or finding a mentor who can speak to your strengths and qualifications.

3. Is it okay to ask a professor I had a long time ago for a recommendation?

It is generally not recommended to ask a professor you had a long time ago for a recommendation, as they may not remember you well enough to provide a strong and detailed recommendation. However, if you had a particularly strong connection with the professor or have kept in touch with them, it may be appropriate to ask for a recommendation.

4. How can I make sure I get a good recommendation from my professor?

The best way to ensure a good recommendation from a professor is to actively participate in their class, ask for help when needed, and build a strong relationship with them. You can also provide them with any necessary materials or information to make the recommendation process as easy as possible for them.

5. Should I remind my professor about writing my recommendation?

It is generally not recommended to remind your professor about writing your recommendation, as it may come off as pushy or disrespectful of their time. However, if the deadline for the recommendation is approaching and you have not heard back from your professor, it may be appropriate to send a polite follow-up email or ask if they need any additional information from you.