Recommended work for an undergrad (internships, research, etc.)

f3sicA_A
I am a second year undergrad pursuing Physics and my primary question is when looking for work (internships, research work, etc.) is it recommended to apply for formal programs and fellowships (say research fellowships, summer/winter schools at good institutions, etc.) as opposed to say reaching out to specific Professors whose work interests you? I ask this of course from the perspective of a future grad school looking at my experience (for instance).

I've applied to some fellowships before but usually fellowships (or other formal programs) require me to submit Letters of Recommendation and this is where I am currently lacking -- although I am doing decently well in my Physics courses, I do not have the sort of connect with my Profs where I can expect a good LOR which goes beyond the fact that I was in their class and I have so and so grades. I am of course trying to improve my relation with my TFs and my Profs (which has proven to be quite challenging for me owing to my introversion), but in the meanwhile, I was wondering if it really matters whether you gain experience through formal programs or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
f3sicA_A said:
s opposed to say reaching out to specific Professors whose work interests you?
Why would you want to do something other than what interests you?

Likes f3sicA_A
f3sicA_A said:
is it recommended to apply for formal programs and fellowships (say research fellowships, summer/winter schools at good institutions, etc.) as opposed to say reaching out to specific Professors whose work interests you?
Why not do both? First work with professors whose work interests you, let them get to know you, then leverage their letters of recommendation to take advantage of external opportunities. You're only in second year, so you have time for this.

You'll want your local professors' letters of recommendation for grad school, in any event.

Likes gwnorth and f3sicA_A
Vanadium 50 said:
Why would you want to do something other than what interests you?
Partially because as I have mentioned in the question, I am really not sure what work 'interests' me, I'm open to any field in Physics as long as it's a valuable learning experience, and of course, whilst learning, I also want to ensure I have something to show for my experience/knowledge when needed (which is why I was wondering if it matters whether I have done any sort of formal programs/fellowships).

Why put all of your eggs into one basket? I would just consider both if they appear interesting to you. If both come back to you with a "yes" then you can think about which one you like more later :)

Likes f3sicA_A and Vanadium 50
I agree with @Joshy - you can't decline a job until its offered to you,

Further, if you aren't sure what you want to do, trying to make your resume idea for that unknown step will be hard,. Your job right now is to explore and figure out what you want.

Likes Joshy and f3sicA_A
f3sicA_A said:
in the meanwhile, I was wondering if it really matters whether you gain experience through formal programs or not.
Not really. The details of the research experience itself tend to far outweigh where you get it in my experience.

Likes f3sicA_A