1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programmable Multinomial Expansion

1. Aug 14, 2009 #1
    Hello,

How can we write a programmable multinomial expansion? I mean the summation over all non-negative integer indices, is somewhat difficult to program in Mathematica, at least for me. Is there any suggestions, please?

I saw this formula at the Mathematica official website, but I didn't know how to interpret it:

[tex]\left(a_1+a_2+\cdots+a_m\right)^n=\sum_{n_1,n_2,\dots,n_m=0}\delta_{n;n_1+n_2+\cdots+n_m}\left(n;n_1,n_2,\ldots,n_m\right)\prod_{k=1}^ma_k^{n_k}[/tex]

what does it mean [tex]n_1,n_2,\ldots,n_m=0[/tex]? and what is the delta function [tex]\delta_{n;n_1+n_2+\cdots+n_m}\left(n;n_1,n_2,\ldots,n_m\right)[/tex]??

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]n_1,n_2,\ldots,n_m=0[/tex] means start the sum with all ni=0.
    [tex]\delta_{n;n_1+n_2+\cdots+n_m}\left(n;n_1,n_2,\ldots,n_m\right)[/tex] =1 when the sum of the ni=n and =0 otherwise.

Note: For some reason I get an s where there should be ... In the checking before I submit it is correct???

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  4. Aug 16, 2009 #3
    well, after we start all the indices from 0? Can you elaborate more, because I have no clear idea how to program this expansion in Mathematica.

Thanks in advance

5. Aug 16, 2009 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know anything about mathematica. Also (more important) the description you gave does not indicate what the upper limits of the summations for the m indices. In any case each ni goes from 0 to its upper limit.

6. Aug 16, 2009 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook