Project: Launching from liquid

In summary, the task is to build a boat that can move 1 metre forward and then fire a projectile to hit a target 2 metres away, using either gravitational or elastic potential energy as the power source. Motors and batteries are not allowed. Ideas for propulsion include using mousetraps and gears, but the specifics of building it are still uncertain. It is important to consider the most efficient ways to store energy for the drive mechanism. One potential disadvantage of using gravitational potential energy is that it may not provide enough power for the boat.
holidy174
Hello all, i really need help on a physics project... i am stumped out of ideas..
the task: To build a boat that will propel itself 1 metre forward, then fire a projectile in an attempt to hit a target 2metres away (perpendicular to the direction of travel).

The boat must move by either grav. potential (Eg), or Elastic potential (Ee)... motors and batteries aren't allowed.

Basically, after you release it from the dock it has to move on its own and fire by itself...

I have thought of using mousetraps and gears, but not quite sure how to build it...

Thanks so much in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
holidy174 said:
Hello all, i really need help on a physics project... i am stumped out of ideas..
the task: To build a boat that will propel itself 1 metre forward, then fire a projectile in an attempt to hit a target 2metres away (perpendicular to the direction of travel).

The boat must move by either grav. potential (Eg), or Elastic potential (Ee)... motors and batteries aren't allowed.

Basically, after you release it from the dock it has to move on its own and fire by itself...

I have thought of using mousetraps and gears, but not quite sure how to build it...

Thanks so much in advanced.

Welcome to the PF.

Per the PF rules, we cannot do your project for you. What kinds of propulsion do model boats use (how do they get their power to the water)? That would seem to be a good place to start. Once you have figured out a couple potential ways to put power into the water, you can think of the most efficient ways to store the energy that you will release as power to your drive mechanism.

What would be a potential disadvantage of using gravitational potential energy to power a boat?

1. How does launching from liquid differ from other launch methods?

Launching from liquid involves using a liquid propellant, such as liquid hydrogen or liquid oxygen, to create a powerful force that propels a rocket into space. This method differs from solid fuel rockets, which use a solid propellant, and air-breathing engines, which rely on oxygen in the atmosphere for combustion.

2. What are the advantages of using liquid propellant for a launch?

Liquid propellant allows for more precise control over the thrust and direction of a rocket, which is crucial for achieving a successful launch. It also has a higher energy density, meaning more energy can be stored in a smaller volume, allowing for a more powerful launch.

3. How is the liquid propellant stored and handled before launch?

Liquid propellant is typically stored in large tanks and needs to be kept at very low temperatures to remain in liquid form. It is also highly combustible and requires careful handling and safety measures to prevent accidents.

4. What are the main challenges of launching from liquid?

One of the main challenges is the complex and precise engineering required for the rocket and its propulsion system. The propellants also need to be carefully measured and mixed in the correct proportions to ensure a successful launch. Additionally, the extreme temperatures and pressures involved in launching from liquid can be difficult to manage.

5. What advancements have been made in launching from liquid in recent years?

Advancements in technology have allowed for more efficient and powerful liquid propellant rockets. There have also been developments in reusable rocket systems, such as SpaceX's Falcon 9, which has successfully landed and been reused multiple times. This reduces the cost of launches and makes space exploration more accessible.