1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion and acceleration HELP!

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1

nrw

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A lemming accelerates uniformly starting from rest 2 meters before jumping horizontally from the top of a 20 m high cliff. What is the minimum acceleration required so that the lemming can clear the rocks stretching out 4 m from the base of the cliff?

2. Relevant equations
    I know that we have both an X and Y component we need to calculate, but what is confusing to me is that - how does the 2 meters at the beginning play into the horizontal velocity? And since the lemming is jumping horizontally - what does that mean? Does that mean something other than free fall? Is the initial velocity of the jump the final velocity of the horizontal velocity?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried this several ways, but have no idea if I'm doing it right. For the X component, I have the initial velocity is 0, the final velocity is unknown, the displacement is 2 m (??) and acceleration is 0 (because can acceleration exist in a horizontal dimension?) and the t is unknown. For the y component, I have the initial velocity as 0, but I don't know if this is correct? The acceleration is -10 m/s2, the Y displacement is -40. So, do I use the pythagorean theorem to find the final velocity of Y? I'm totally confused about where to start. Thanks!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi nrw! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Let's restate the problem more clearly …

i] a projectile leaves the top of a 20m cliff, with initial velocity purely horizontal, and lands 4m from the base: what is its initial speed, v0?

ii] what acceleration must it have had to get from rest to v0 after 2m?

4. Sep 12, 2009 #3

nrw

Thanks! So when the initial velocity is purely horizontal, that means that we are assuming the initial speed of the fall is 0 and thus, the y-component is calculated using simple free fall acceleration?
    I first calculated the time it would take the lemming to land if it were free falling... using y=Vi (t) - 1/2 a t2. This gives me 2 seconds. Then, if the lemming has only 2 seconds to clear 4 m, it must have a velocity of 2 m/s2 (using x=vt). Then, to calculate the acceleration, I use v2 = vi2 + 2aX and get the acceleration of 1 m/s.
    Does that sound right?
    I guess I'm confused about when to use a = -9.8 (all falls?) and when to break a equation up into both X and Y components.
    Thanks!!!

5. Sep 13, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup! :biggrin:
    Using g = 10, yes. :smile:
    Don't ask yourself "what is the acceleration?" …

ask yourself "what is the force?"

If it's gravity, then it's 9.8 (or 10 :wink:) …

if it's an applied force, then it isn't 9.8 !

(of course, sometimes it's both … eg a rocket)

But you must always break it up into X and Y components (or surface and normal, or whatever) …

F = ma is a vector equation, and you must treat it as such (unless of course the motion is obviously one-dimensional, in which case one of the component equations will be 0 = 0 :wink:)

6. Sep 13, 2009 #5

nrw

Wow! Thank you so much for your help! Thinking of acceleration as force really helps - I appreciate your time and the way you ex;lain things!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook