Projectile motion of a cannonball problem

In summary, a cannonball is fired at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal from a height of 40m above the ground with an initial velocity of v0. It strikes the ground with a speed of 1.2*v0. To find v0, the suggested methods include using motion equations or energy conservation. Using energy conservation, the formula g y_i + {1 \over 2} v_i^2 = g y_f + {1 \over 2} v_f^2 can be used, with g = 9.8 {m \over s^2} and y_i = 40m. The final velocity, v_f, is equal to 1.2*v0, and
sweet_girl123
a cannonball is fired with initial velocity v0 at an angle 30 above the horizontal from the height of 40m above the ground. the projection strikes the ground with a speed of 1.2*v0. find v0

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried by getting the time first
y = 1/2 gt^2

but I am lost after that can anyone please help me out...

Energy consideration maybe another(also faster i think=)) method to get the answer.
Try to think about the whole system energy(involve both KE and PE).Using the motion equation(Your Method), you could also get your answer eventually.
Think about the VERTICAL motion(Vo sin 30), you will also get the answer by setting up a motion equation

Last edited:
Hi sweet_girl123! :smile:

Easiest way to do this is with energy conservation (as VulcanWong suggested).

The formula for that is:
[tex]g y_i + {1 \over 2} v_i^2 = g y_f + {1 \over 2} v_f^2[/tex]
with:
[itex]y_i, y_f[/itex] the initial and final heights
[itex]v_i, v_f[/itex] the initial and final (total) speeds
[itex]g = 9.8 {m \over s^2}[/itex] the acceleration of gravity

Can you fill in the numbers?

Based on the given information, we can use the equations of projectile motion to solve for v0, the initial velocity of the cannonball.

First, we can find the initial velocity in the x-direction using the equation v0x = v0cosθ, where θ is the angle of 30 degrees. This gives us v0x = v0cos30 = 0.866v0.

Next, we can find the initial velocity in the y-direction using the equation v0y = v0sinθ, which gives us v0y = v0sin30 = 0.5v0.

Using the equation of motion for the vertical direction, we can find the time it takes for the cannonball to reach the ground. The equation is y = y0 + v0yt - 1/2gt^2, where y0 is the initial height (40m), v0y is the initial velocity in the y-direction, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time.

Substituting the values, we get 0 = 40 + (0.5v0)t - 4.9t^2. This can be simplified to 4.9t^2 - 0.5v0t - 40 = 0.

Using the quadratic formula, we can solve for t and get two solutions: t = 2.01 seconds or t = -3.96 seconds. Since the time cannot be negative, we can discard the negative solution and use t = 2.01 seconds.

Now, using the equation of motion for the horizontal direction, we can find the distance traveled by the cannonball. The equation is x = x0 + v0xt, where x0 is the initial position (0m) and v0x is the initial velocity in the x-direction.

Substituting the values, we get x = 0 + (0.866v0)(2.01) = 1.74v0.

We know that the final speed of the cannonball is 1.2 times the initial velocity, so we can set up the equation 1.2v0 = √(v0x^2 + v0y^2).

Substituting the values, we get 1.2v0 = √((0.866v0)^2 + (0.5v0

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is projected into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity alone. This type of motion is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. What factors affect the projectile motion of a cannonball?

The factors that affect the projectile motion of a cannonball include its initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

3. How can the trajectory of a cannonball be calculated?

The trajectory of a cannonball can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of projection, and acceleration due to gravity. These equations can be solved to determine the position, velocity, and time of flight of the cannonball at any given point.

4. What is the maximum height reached by a cannonball during its flight?

The maximum height reached by a cannonball during its flight is determined by the initial velocity and angle of projection. It can be calculated using the equation h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of a cannonball?

Air resistance can affect the motion of a cannonball by slowing it down and altering its trajectory. This is because as the cannonball moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which decreases its speed and changes its direction slightly.