Projectile motion of a flying object

In summary: The ball is thrown horizontally--- this means the ball is thrown at an angle of 0 deg. with the X-axis. The forces acting on the ball in X-direction (or horizontal direction) are the gravitational force and the drag force. The acceleration of the ball in horizontal direction is the acceleration due to gravity.
rrosa522

Homework Statement

an object is thrown horizontally off a cliff with an initial speed of 7.5m/s. The object strikes the ground 3 sec later
what is the horizontal velocity after 1.5 sec

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know how to start this problem without an angle given

Physics news on Phys.org
rrosa522 said:

Homework Statement

an object is thrown horizontally off a cliff with an initial speed of 7.5m/s. The object strikes the ground 3 sec later

Homework Equations

i don't know how to start this problem without an angle given

What does 'horizontally' mean to you?

rrosa522 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

i don't know how to
SteamKing said:
What does 'horizontally' mean to you?
im not really sure what it is, I don't know any equations to solve this problem,

rrosa522 said:
im not really sure what it is, I don't know any equations to solve this problem,
Well, if you have a dictionary you could look up the definition of 'horizontally'. You can probably find some dictionaries online if you are diligent.

(Hint: 'horizontally' and 'vertically' are often used in these types of projectile problems. You should become familiar with their definitions.)

SteamKing said:
Well, if you have a dictionary you could look up the definition of 'horizontally'. You can probably find some dictionaries online if you are diligent.

(Hint: 'horizontally' and 'vertically' are often used in these types of projectile problems. You should become familiar with their definitions.)
i think it is the same as the initial speed given so 7.5m/s, is that right?

rrosa522 said:
i think it is the same as the initial speed given so 7.5m/s, is that right?

The initial speed is the initial speed, no more, no less.

You were originally looking for the initial angle at which the projectile was thrown. Knowing the definition of 'horizontally' provides that angle, no more, no less.

Hi rosa. A ball is thrown horizontally--- this means the ball is thrown at an angle of 0 deg. with the X-axis.
55.png

What are the forces acting on the ball in X-direction (or horizontal direction)? What is the acceleration of the ball in horizontal direction?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. This type of motion is characterized by the object's curved path, which is a combination of its horizontal and vertical motion.

2. What are the factors that affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the speed, direction, and trajectory of the object's motion.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations for horizontal and vertical motion. The horizontal motion is determined by the object's initial velocity and the time it takes to travel a certain distance, while the vertical motion is affected by the force of gravity and the time it takes for the object to reach its highest point and fall back down.

4. Can the trajectory of a projectile be affected by air resistance?

Yes, the trajectory of a projectile can be affected by air resistance. Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air, and it can cause the object to slow down and deviate from its expected path.

5. How is the range of a projectile affected by the angle of projection?

The range of a projectile is affected by the angle of projection. The maximum range is achieved when the angle of projection is 45 degrees, as this angle provides the best balance between the horizontal and vertical components of motion. Any angle above or below 45 degrees will result in a shorter range.