1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion of shotputter

1. Mar 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A shotputter throws a shot with an initial speed of 15.5m/s at a 34.0 degree angle to the horizontal. Calculate the horizontal distance given that the shot leaves the athletes hand 2.2m above the ground???

2. Relevant equations
    Distance=((initial velocity)^2 x sin (2xdegrees))/gravity(9.8)

Although this is the level range formula used when height final = height of initial. How do you change this formula to accommodate the fact that the shot lands 2.2m lower than it started????????

3. The attempt at a solution
    d=15.5^2 x sin 68/ 9.8 =29.09m, I know this must be wrong but i have read through the text book and it does not help me at all in finding how to work this out. I shows what to do if the degrees is not given but with the degrees what equation can i use??????????????

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2
    There isn't any point by-hearting formulae such as the one above. Use the equations of motion for constant acceleration,
    v = u + at
    s = ut + at2/2
    v2 = u2 + 2as

where u and v denote initial and final velocities, a denotes acceleration, and s denotes displacement.

4. Mar 21, 2010 #3
    Yeah but none of them incorporate the angle of release given???? Im guessing thats an important variable, so shouldnt it be used

5. Mar 21, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Initial height yo of the shot put is given.At the end it reaches the ground. So the final height y = 0
    So
    y = yo + Vo*sinθ*t - 1/2*g*t^2.
    Solve for t. Then horizontal distance
    x = Vo*cosθ*t.
    Now solve the problem.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  6. Mar 21, 2010 #5
    Your equations must be wrong
    0=2.2+15.5*sin 34*t-1/2*9.8*t^2
    t=-0.225
    x=15.5*cos 34*-0.225
    x=-2.8912
    this answer does not make sense

7. Mar 22, 2010 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Negative time is not possible. While solving the quadratic equation, you will get two values of t. You have to select the positive value of t.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  8. Mar 22, 2010 #7
    alright, cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook