1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Question To Find Unknown Variable (Initial Velocity)

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    Hey all! I've tried solving this problem every way I could think of and I wanted to see if I'm doing this even remotely right. Mind helping me out?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem: A mountain climber is stranded on a ledge 30 m above the ground. Rescuers on the ground want to shoot a projectile to him with a rope attached it. If the projectile is directed upward at an initial angle of 55° from a horiontal distance of 50 m, derermine the intial speed the projectile must have in order to land on the ledge.

Given:
    dx = 50 m
    dy = 30 m
    θ = 55°
    g = -9.8 m/s2

Required:
    Δt
    V0

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure if I used the proper equation but: d = V * t - (1/2)(-9.8)(t)2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried finding Δt first by using t = dx/Vx = 50/(cos55 * V0)

After finding the time, I used it an inputed it into the equation and canceled out the V0 in the numerator and denominator then I was left with one V which I had to find by rearranging the equation.

30 m = (sin55 * V0)(50/(cos55 * V0) - 4.9(50/cos55 * V0)2

After rearranging it, I ended up with 30.06 m/s as the initial velocity. Am I using the right equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't checked your working but the approach looks correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted