Projectile problems (Stuck at equation and answer)

• Thread starter Leejia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, to solve projectile problems, you can use equations for vertical and horizontal displacement, and formulas for maximum height and range. Horizontal displacement is affected by initial horizontal velocity, while vertical displacement is affected by initial vertical velocity and gravity. Some common assumptions are no air resistance, constant gravitational acceleration, and no external forces. It is important to identify these assumptions before solving a problem.
Leejia
Homework Statement
A missile is to be launched from a point P 500m from the peak of a hill of height 2000m into enemy territory. If the missile is just pass over the hill and strike a target 1200m from P, calculate the velocity at which the missile should be launched (140 ms^-1 horizontally to 19 degree )
Relevant Equations
V=u+at
S=ut+1/2at^2
X=usin$ t
Hi i get the answer about 203.xxx ms ^–1 and 81.7 degree but the book answer given is not similar to my answer, So I hope helper can help me verified this ans

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like your relevant equation does not contain gravity. Shouldn't there be some contribution of gravity to the problem.

I just editted sorry

first draw a diagram

1. What is the equation used to solve projectile problems?

The equation used to solve projectile problems is y = y0 + v0t - 1/2gt2, where y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0 is the initial vertical velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do I find the initial velocity in a projectile problem?

To find the initial velocity in a projectile problem, you can use the equation v0 = v - gt, where v is the final velocity and t is the time. You can also use trigonometric functions to find the initial velocity if the angle and initial height are known.

3. What is the meaning of the negative sign in the projectile equation?

The negative sign in the projectile equation indicates that the acceleration due to gravity is acting in the opposite direction of the initial velocity. This means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the acceleration, which is towards the ground.

4. How do I know when to use the vertical or horizontal components in a projectile problem?

In a projectile problem, the vertical component is used to calculate the object's vertical position and velocity, while the horizontal component is used to calculate the object's horizontal position and velocity. You can determine which component to use by analyzing the given information and determining which component is affected by the given variables.

5. Can I use the projectile equation for objects thrown at an angle?

Yes, the projectile equation can be used for objects thrown at an angle. However, in this case, the initial velocity will have both horizontal and vertical components, and the angle and initial height must be taken into account when solving the problem.