Projectile question about rifles

• Thread starter csharsha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the problem involves a rifle being fired horizontally at a target on a screen at two different distances. The question asks for the new distance at which the screen would be struck after being moved. The equations needed are the horizontal range equation and other simple equations. The attempt at a solution is not provided. Another question is also mentioned about a velocity selector and the acceleration and velocity of a particle traveling in the y-direction. Lastly, the question asks for the time it takes for a bullet to fall 5mm and the ratio of the time it takes to travel 25m versus 50m.
csharsha

Homework Statement

When a rifle is fired horizontally at a target P on a screen at a range of 25 m, the bullet strikes the screen at a point 5.0 mm below P. The screen is now moved to a distance of 50 m and the rifle again fired horizontally at P in its new position.

Assuming that air resistance may be neglected, what is the new distance below P at which the screen would now be struck?

Homework Equations

Horizontal Range = (u^2sin(2w))/g

All the rest simple equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I seriously cannot do this question, I would put my attempt if I could.

Also, if someone could help me out with this. In a velocity selector, is a particle traveling in y-direction having acceleration? And is the x-component of the velocity constant?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
csharsha said:

Homework Statement

When a rifle is fired horizontally at a target P on a screen at a range of 25 m, the bullet strikes the screen at a point 5.0 mm below P. The screen is now moved to a distance of 50 m and the rifle again fired horizontally at P in its new position.

Assuming that air resistance may be neglected, what is the new distance below P at which the screen would now be struck?

Homework Equations

Horizontal Range = (u^2sin(2w))/g

All the rest simple equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I seriously cannot do this question, I would put my attempt if I could.

Also, if someone could help me out with this. In a velocity selector, is a particle traveling in y-direction having acceleration? And is the x-component of the velocity constant?

Thanks!

If you drop the bullet out of your hand, how long does it take to fall 5mm?

What is the ratio of the time it takes the rifle bullet to travel 25m versus 50m?

1. What is the definition of a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is launched or thrown through the air, and is primarily affected by the force of gravity.

2. How does the mass of a rifle affect its projectile?

The mass of a rifle can affect its projectile by determining the amount of force needed to launch it and the speed at which it travels. A heavier rifle will generally have a higher projectile velocity and therefore a longer range.

3. What factors influence the trajectory of a projectile from a rifle?

The trajectory of a projectile from a rifle is influenced by several factors including the angle of elevation, the initial velocity, the mass of the projectile, and any external forces such as wind or air resistance.

4. Is there a maximum range for a projectile from a rifle?

Yes, there is a maximum range for a projectile from a rifle. This is determined by the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle of elevation, and external factors such as air resistance. Depending on these factors, the maximum range can vary greatly.

5. How can I calculate the distance a projectile from a rifle will travel?

The distance a projectile from a rifle will travel can be calculated using the equations of motion, taking into account the initial velocity, angle of elevation, and any external forces. There are also online calculators and apps available for more precise calculations.