Projectile motion - bullet shot from a rifle

In summary, when a horizontally held rifle is fired over a level range, both the bullet fired downrange and the one dropped from rest will strike the ground at the same time, assuming no air drag. This is because the vertical and horizontal motions are independent of each other, and the initial velocity in the horizontal direction has no effect on the vertical displacement. This may seem counter-intuitive, but it demonstrates the principle of independence of perpendicular directions.
pst535

Homework Statement

At the instant a horizontally held rifle is fired over a level range, a bullet held at the side of the rifle is released and drops to the ground. Which bullet, the one fired downrange or the one dropped from rest, strikes the ground first?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer: The one dropped from rest strikes the ground first. If we're ignoring air drag, then the bullet will keep moving - at a constant velocity (forever); the bullet that is dropped will accelerate toward the ground, acting under the influence of gravity; thus the dropped bullet will hit the ground first.
This answer, obviously, is wrong.
Right answer: both bullets fall the same vertical distance with the same acceleration g due to gravity and therefore strike the ground at the same time.
But I don't understand why this is the case, even after reading that. Can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
pst535 said:
If we're ignoring air drag, then the bullet will keep moving - at a constant velocity (forever).

Aren't moving objects also attracted to the Earth? If the Earth is applying a force on the bullet, then why would it move at a constant velocity forever?

Are you implying that air drag is what causes bullets to fall?
Or are you implying that bullets don't fall? (until they hit something)edit:
This problem demonstrates the independence of vertical and horiztonal motion (or any perpendicular directions, for that matter)

I've asked a few people this question, and the consensus is that it's counter-intuitive. If I remember correctly, I too got it wrong when I first heard it.

Last edited:
I don't really know what I was implying. I think I just don't get it. And also, doesn't the bullet shot out of the rifle have a higher initial velocity, or something? Wouldn't that increase the time it takes for the bullet out of the rifle to hit the ground?

pst535 said:
I don't really know what I was implying. I think I just don't get it. And also, doesn't the bullet shot out of the rifle have a higher initial velocity, or something? Wouldn't that increase the time it takes for the bullet out of the rifle to hit the ground?

It has a higher initial velocity, but the initial velocity is 100% in the horizontal direction.
(So it has no effect on the vertical displacement)

If the gun were pointed even slightly upwards, it would take longer to hit the ground.

If the gun were pointed even slightly downwards, it would hit the ground first.

The reason both bullets will hit the ground at the same time is because they experience the same acceleration due to gravity, regardless of their initial horizontal velocity. This is known as the principle of independent horizontal and vertical motion.

When the rifle is fired, the bullet is given an initial horizontal velocity, but it also experiences a downward force due to gravity. This results in the bullet's trajectory being a curved path, known as a parabola. However, the vertical component of the bullet's velocity is always changing due to the constant acceleration of gravity, while the horizontal component remains constant.

On the other hand, the bullet that is dropped from rest also experiences the same downward force due to gravity, resulting in the same acceleration. This means that both bullets will fall the same vertical distance in the same amount of time and hit the ground at the same time.

In conclusion, the horizontal velocity of the bullet fired from the rifle does not affect its vertical motion, and both bullets will hit the ground at the same time. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is the same for both objects, regardless of their initial horizontal velocities.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

How does a bullet shot from a rifle experience projectile motion?

When a bullet is shot from a rifle, it experiences projectile motion because it is initially given a velocity in a horizontal direction by the rifle and simultaneously falls due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the trajectory of a bullet shot from a rifle?

The factors that affect the trajectory of a bullet shot from a rifle include the initial velocity, the angle at which the rifle is held, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

Can a bullet shot from a rifle follow a perfectly straight path?

No, a bullet shot from a rifle cannot follow a perfectly straight path. Due to the force of gravity, it will always experience a downward acceleration, causing it to follow a curved path.

Why is it important for a marksman to understand projectile motion?

Understanding projectile motion is important for a marksman because it allows them to predict and adjust for the trajectory of their bullet, improving their accuracy. It also helps them account for external factors and make necessary adjustments for a successful shot.