1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof: 3 Reversible evolutions -- Hermitian Conjugate

1. Nov 4, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a qubit whihc undergoes a sequence of three reversible evolutions of 3 unitary matrices A, B, and C (in that order). Suppose that no matter what the initial state |v> of the qubit is before the three evolutions, it always comes back to the sam state |v> after the three evolutions.
    Show that we must have C=(BA)†

2. Relevant equations
    † = hermitian conjugate

3. The attempt at a solution

The diagram of the reversible evolution allows us to see that the process |v> --> A --> B --> C = |v> results in the equation:

C(BA)|v> = |v>
    From here we see that: C(BA) = I (where I is the identity matrix)
    We multiple both sides by (BA)†
    C(BA)(BA)†=I(BA)†
    By definition of unitary we see
    C=(BA)†

This was quite easy, we see it only took 3-4 steps.

Have I successfully completed this proof? Recall, I needed to show that this works for all possible |v>.
    |v> seems irrelevant, however, since it could be 'cancelled' out in the second step.

Success? Or failure?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I would give more details here, as you can only take that A is unitary and B is unitary, not suppose it for BA.

Again, to give more details: ##C(BA)|v\rangle = |v\rangle \, \forall \, |v\rangle \Rightarrow C(BA) = I##. You can only go from the first to the second line if you say that this has to hold for all states.

4. Nov 5, 2015 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Absolutely excellent point. I glossed over that.

Indeed, what you suggest seems to bring more clarity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted