1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about m/nth root of a prime.

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    Lets take a prime number and raise it to m/n where m and n are coprime. x,y are coprime
    and I want to show that this is irrational.
    Proof: lets assume for the sake of contradiction that
    [itex] P^{\frac{m}{n}}=\frac{x}{y} [/itex]
    P is prime and m,n,x,y are integers.
    no we take both sides to the nth power and then multiply the y term over.
    [itex] y^n P^m=x^n [/itex]
    now we factor y and x into their prime factorization.
    [itex] {p^a.....{P_{t}}^b}^n P^m={{P_{q}}^c........}^n [/itex]
    okay so if the left side is equal to the right side.
    on the left side we know that P has at least m factors, but if P is also contained
    in y then it has m+n factors. but if x and y are coprime then x has no common factors with y so y cant have factors of P in it. so now if x contains multiples of P , in order to have the same amount of factors it must be true that ne=m where e is the number of factors of P in x.
    but this would imply that m and n are not coprime therefore this is a contradiction and our original number is irrational.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey cragar.

The thing I see is that when you get Pm = xn/yn, then it means that (x/y) have to be a prime since primes have no factors other than 1 or itself. But the only way for this to happen is if x and y are not co-prime and also relevant powers of that prime.

Thus you have a contradiction and you have proved the result that there exists no rational form given x and y are co-prime. Also because we are dealing with a prime, we know that the RHS of the above must be an integer and also that it has a particular decomposition since primes only have factors of 1 and itself.

Edit: Correction should have been / instead of *

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    how did you get [itex] p^m=x^ny^n [/itex]

5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

Sorry, I've changed it: should have been / instead of *

6. Jul 18, 2012 #5
    okay I see, ya that is also a contradiction too and right off the bat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook