1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that \sqrt{p} is irrational

1. Nov 27, 2013 #1
    I'm aware of the standard proof.

What I'm wondering is why we can't just do the following. Given, I haven't slept well and I'm currently out of caffeine, so this one might be trivial for you guys.

Suppose, by way of contradiction, that ##\sqrt{p}=\frac{m}{n}##, for ##m,n\in\mathbb{Z}## coprime. Then, ##p=\frac{m^2}{n^2}##. Because ##p## is an integer, ##\frac{m^2}{n^2}## must be as well. However, because ##m## and ##n## are coprime, so are ##m^2## and ##n^2##. Thus, ##n^2=1## is necessary for ##\frac{m^2}{n^2}## to be an integer. But that means ##m^2=p##, and ##p## is prime. Thus, a contradiction is met and we see that ##\sqrt{p}## is irrational.

Is this valid? I'll probably figure out my mistake (if I made one) by the time I get back with adequate caffeination, but until then, I'd like to make sure I figure it out.

Thank you.

Edit: Gee, I guess it might be important to mention that ##p## is prime. :facepalm:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2013 #2
    In my opinion, it's valid.

4. Nov 27, 2013 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks OK to me.

5. Nov 27, 2013 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Completely valid. The last step basically assumes that a prime cannot be a perfect square, which is true and fairly obvious. But if you really want to make the proof completely obvious, you can state: ##m^2 = p##. Hence ##m|p## (m divides p), which is a contradiction.

6. Nov 28, 2013 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, it doesn't matter that p is prime. It's valid for any +ve integer: the square root is either an integer or irrational; it cannot be a proper rational.

7. Nov 28, 2013 #6
    Thank you, all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook