Proof by induction of the sum of 2 squares

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
39 replies · 7K views
so I've gone along with

assume: rk=(a2+b2)
if, rk+1=(a2+b2)(c2+d2)=(ac-bd)2)+(ad+bc)2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
aporter1 said:
so I've gone along with

assume: rk=(a2+b2)
if, rk+1=(a2+b2)(c2+d2)

Then rk+1=(ac-bd)2)+(ad+bc)2
Is more like it.
 
aporter1 said:
so I'm on the right track for the right side then?
What do you mean by "the right side" ?
 
aporter1 said:
so I've gone along with

assume: rk=(a2+b2)
if, rk+1=(a2+b2)(c2+d2)=(ac-bd)2)+(ad+bc)2
Let me answer this post of yours again.

It makes sense to usea subscript with r. Did your teacher give you that idea?

You should really define rn somewhere.

Like: Let rn = a1a2a3a4...an where each ai is the sum of two integers.

Now, let's redo what you have above with some changes that I will put in RED.
aporter1 said:
so I've gone along with

Assume: rk=(a2+b2), for two integers, a and b.

If ak+1 = c2+d2, for two integers, c and d,

[STRIKE]if,[/STRIKE] then rk+1=(a2+b2)(c2+d2)=(ac-bd)2)+(ad+bc)2

Therefore, rk+1 is the sum of the squares of two integers.
 
aporter1 said:
I've taken history of math discrete math
Is that two different classes or one? If it's one class, what are the prerequisites for the class you're currently in, and if there are any, did you take them and get a reasonably good grade? I get the sense that you're way over your head in this class.
aporter1 said:
, but its been a while. Its a 400 level course, its an independent study class. I've gone to my teacher for help but I don't understand
 
Mark44 said:
Is that two different classes or one? If it's one class, what are the prerequisites for the class you're currently in, and if there are any, did you take them and get a reasonably good grade? I get the sense that you're way over your head in this class.

its one class, and i got good grades in the pre requisites. but see its an independent study class where its a special topics class, so my teacher just randomly picked a book
 
aporter1 said:
its one class, and i got good grades in the pre requisites. but see its an independent study class where its a special topics class, so my teacher just randomly picked a book
I doubt that it was a random pick !