Proof for the following statement Not Semi-simple

• Thread starter bartadam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of two statements: "Not Semi-simple implies degenerate" and "non degenerate implies semi-simple." It is explained that the contrapositive of the first statement is actually the second statement, and a visual example is provided to help understand the logic behind it. It is also suggested to compare the truth tables of the two statements to further understand their equivalence.
bartadam
I have a proof for the following statement

Not Semi-simple [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] degenerate.

Does this mean the following is true?

non degenerate [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] semi-simple

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Yes. If your original statement is true, then the second statement, the contrapositive, is also true.

I thought so, thanks, I would be happier if I could visualise it in my head though if you know what I mean.

Like 'If it is my car then it is red' then the statement 'if it is not red, then it is not my car' is equivalent and I can easily see that. Just don't quite see it in this case.

Anyways,
Ta

It might be because your premise is negated.

Let A mean "semi-simple" and B mean "degenerate"

Your statement is ~A => B

The contrapositive is actually
~B => ~~A

The ~'s cancel to yield ~B => A.

If you were to make up a funny word to mean ~A (maybe "semi-complicated" =-), then it would sound more logical:

"If something is semi-complicated, then it must be degenerate."

"If something isn't degenerate, then it isn't semi-complicated".

One way you can visualize it is by using some geometry. Your example: if its my car, then its red. Think of a small circle, in that circle put "my car". Then put that circle in a larger circle, and lable the large circle, "red". Now you can see if you pick your car, you have to pick red. Now if you pick not red, you cannot pick your car.

of course this is by no means rigorous because of the ambiguities of such a set and subset, but its a simple trick that may help you to see what your doing.

It won't help with intuition, but just first to convince yourself of the equivalence and its contrapositive you could write out the truth tables of P => Q and ~Q => ~P and compare!

1. What is a semi-simple statement?

A semi-simple statement is a mathematical concept that refers to a statement that is not reducible to simpler statements. In other words, it cannot be broken down into smaller, more basic statements.

2. How can you prove that a statement is not semi-simple?

To prove that a statement is not semi-simple, you can show that it can be broken down into smaller, simpler statements. This can be done through logical reasoning and mathematical techniques such as proof by contradiction or counterexample.

3. Can a statement be both semi-simple and not semi-simple?

No, a statement cannot be both semi-simple and not semi-simple. It is either one or the other. A statement is considered semi-simple if it cannot be further reduced, while a non semi-simple statement can be broken down into simpler statements.

4. What are some examples of non semi-simple statements?

Examples of non semi-simple statements include the statement "All even numbers are divisible by 2" and "The sum of two prime numbers is always greater than 2". These statements can be broken down into simpler statements, making them not semi-simple.

5. Why is it important to determine if a statement is semi-simple or not?

Determining if a statement is semi-simple or not can help in understanding its complexity and implications. It can also assist in finding ways to simplify the statement or break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Additionally, in the field of mathematics, identifying if a statement is semi-simple or not can be crucial in proving theorems and solving problems.