Proof of a linear operator acting on an inverse of a group element

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Dixanadu
Messages
250
Reaction score
2
Hey guys!

Basically, I was wondering how to prove the following statement. I've seen it in the Hamermesh textbook without proof, so I wanted to know how you go about doing it.

Let's say you have a group element [itex]g_{1}[/itex], which has a corresponding inverse [itex]g_{1}^{-1}[/itex]. Let's also define a linear transformation D for this group element.

So what I am trying to prove is that

[itex]D(g_{1}^{-1}) = [D(g_{1})]^{-1}[/itex]

Can u guys point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
By linear transformation do you mean group homomorphism? If so just consider
[tex]D(g_1 g_1^{-1}) = D(g_1) D(g_1^{-1})[/tex]
 
yes it is a homomorphism. But what u wrote in the previous message, where do I go from there? cos [itex]D(g_{1}g_{1}^{-1})[/itex] is just [itex]D(E)[/itex] where E is the identity, right? o.o
 
OHH I get it. Basically, because [itex]D(E) = E[/itex], we can say that

[itex]E = D(g_{1})D(g_{1}^{-1})[/itex]
Then by multiplying both sides on the left by [itex][D(g_{1})]^{-1}[/itex] we get

[itex][D(g_{1})]^{-1} = D(g_{1}^{-1})[/itex]...I think...