Proof of an Infimum Being Equal to the Negative Form of a Supremum ()

In summary, AutGuy98 was trying to solve a problem for Intermediate Analysis and needed help from someone. Euge was able to help him out and it was greatly appreciated.
AutGuy98
Hey guys,

I'm kind of in a rush because I'll have to go to my classes soon here at USF Tampa, but I had one last problem for Intermediate Analysis that needs assistance. Thank you in advance to anyone providing it.

Question being asked: "Let $A$ be a nonempty set of real numbers which is bounded below. Let $-A$ be the set of all numbers $-x$, where $x$ is an element of $A$. Prove that $\inf A=-\sup(-A)$."

This is what I had so far for a proof: "Let $\alpha =\inf A$. For any $x\in A$, $\alpha \le x$. This implies that $-\alpha \ge -x$ for all $-x\in -A$. This means $-\alpha$ is an upper bound of $-A$. Also, if $-\gamma <-\alpha$ then $-\gamma$ cannot be an upper bound of $-A$ because if it is, then $-\gamma \ge -x$ for all $-x \in -A$. This implies that $\gamma >\alpha$ and that $\gamma$ is a lower bound of $A$, which is not possible since $\alpha = \inf A$."

Please help me out here, since this is the last problem I need help with at this point in time and I would really, really appreciate it. Thanks again in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, AutGuy98!

You've correctly shown that $-\alpha$ is an upper bound for $-A$. To show that $-\alpha = \sup(-A)$, show that for every $t < -\alpha$, there exists $x\in A$ such that $t < -x \le -\alpha$. Indeed, this will show that no number less than $-\alpha$ is an upper bound for $-A$, allowing you to conclude that $-\alpha = \sup(-A)$.

Let $t < -\alpha$. Then $-t > \alpha$; since $\alpha = \inf(A)$, there exists $x\in A$ such that $-t > x \ge \alpha$. Thus $t < -x \le -\alpha$.

Euge said:
Hi, AutGuy98!

You've correctly shown that $-\alpha$ is an upper bound for $-A$. To show that $-\alpha = \sup(-A)$, show that for every $t < -\alpha$, there exists $x\in A$ such that $t < -x \le -\alpha$. Indeed, this will show that no number less than $-\alpha$ is an upper bound for $-A$, allowing you to conclude that $-\alpha = \sup(-A)$.

Let $t < -\alpha$. Then $-t > \alpha$; since $\alpha = \inf(A)$, there exists $x\in A$ such that $-t > x \ge \alpha$. Thus $t < -x \le -\alpha$.

Thank you so much Euge. This helped me out tremendously and my gratitude cannot be expressed in words, although I try my best. Thank you again.

1. What is the proof of an infimum being equal to the negative form of a supremum?

The proof of an infimum being equal to the negative form of a supremum is a mathematical concept that states that the greatest lower bound (infimum) of a set of numbers is equal to the negative of the least upper bound (supremum) of the same set of numbers.

2. Why is this proof important in mathematics?

This proof is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the relationship between the infimum and supremum of a set of numbers. It also allows us to make precise calculations and draw conclusions about the properties of these numbers.

3. Can you provide an example of this proof in action?

Sure, let's take the set of numbers {-2, 0, 2}. The infimum of this set is -2 and the supremum is 2. Using the proof, we can see that -(-2) = 2, which confirms that the infimum is equal to the negative form of the supremum.

4. How is this proof related to limits?

This proof is related to limits because it helps us determine the limit of a sequence of numbers. The infimum and supremum of a set of numbers can be used to find the limit of that set, and this proof helps us make that connection.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this proof?

Yes, this proof has many real-world applications in fields such as economics, statistics, and physics. It can be used to analyze data and make predictions about future trends. It is also used in optimization problems to find the best possible solution.