1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supremum, Infimum (Is my proof correct?)

1. Apr 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##A## be a nonempty set of real numbers which is bounded below. Let ##-A## be the set of all numbers ##-x##, where ##x \in A##. Prove that
    ##\inf A = -\sup(-A)##.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition:
    Suppose ##S## is an ordered set, ##E\subset S##, and ##E## is bounded above. Suppose there exists an ##\alpha \in S## with the following properties:
    (i) ##\alpha## is an upper bound of ##E##.
    (ii) If ##\gamma < \alpha## then ##\gamma## is not an upper bound of ##E##.
    Then ##\alpha## is called the supremum of ##E## and we write ##\alpha = \sup E##.
    (Equivalently for infimum)

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the definition of supremum ##\exists \alpha > y, \forall y \in -A## or equivalently ##\exists \alpha > -x, \forall x \in A##.
    Then ##-\alpha < x, \forall x \in A##, hence ##-\alpha = -\sup(-A)## is a lower bound of ##A##.

It's left to show that if ##\gamma > -\alpha## then ##\gamma## is not an lower bound of ##A##.
    Suppose ##\gamma## is a lower bound of ##A## with ##\gamma > -\alpha##. Then ##\gamma < x \forall x\in A## or equivalently ##-\gamma > -x \forall x \in A##. But this means that ##\gamma## is an upper bound of ##-A## and since ##\sup(-A) = \alpha## we have that ##-\gamma \ge \alpha## or equivalently ##\gamma \le -\alpha## a contradiction! Hence ##\inf A = -\sup(-A)##.

Is the above correct? Anything I could do to improve it? I'm quite new to proofs so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but it seems that you set ##\alpha=-\sup(-A)##, and then prove that ##-\alpha=\inf A##.
    Shouldn't it be the other way around? You are given that ##A## is bounded below, meaning ##\inf A## exists. Set ##\alpha=\inf A## and prove that ##\alpha = -\sup(-A)##.
    Or, you could do it as you did, but then first prove that if ##A## has a lower bound, ##-A## has an upper bound.

4. Apr 11, 2016 #3
    Good point! I'm going to go with trying to prove that ##-A## have an upper bound. It seemed easier to start on the more complicated side.
    ##A## is bounded below, that is ##\exists \xi \in \mathbf R## such that ##\xi < x, \forall x\in A##. But this means that ##-\xi > -x, \forall x\in A## that is ##-\xi > y, \forall y \in -A##, hence ##-A## is bounded above since ##-\xi \in \mathbf R##.

If I put that in before the start of my earlier proof, would that do it?

Edit: I'm also using the proposition that
    If ##x<0## and ##y<z## then ##xy>xz##
    And others, but I guess I don't have to write thing like this out for every step.

5. Apr 11, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted