Proof of f(x)=0 for All x in [a,b] via Integral Form

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Misswfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Analysis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Misswfish
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Suppose f is continuous function on [a,b] such that for each continuous function g, [tex]\int[/tex](fg)dj = 0 (Note: integral is from a to b) , then f(x) = 0 for each x in [a,b].

I know that I should use the theorem If is continuous on [a,b], f(x)[tex]\geq[/tex]0 for each x in [a,b] and theree is a number p i n [a,b] such that f(p) > 0, THen [tex]\int[/tex]f dj > 0.

I just don't understand how they tie together.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Misswfish said:
I know that I should use the theorem If is continuous on [a,b], f(x)[tex]\geq[/tex]0 for each x in [a,b] and theree is a number p i n [a,b] such that f(p) > 0, THen [tex]\int[/tex]f dj > 0.

What is the contrapositive of this statement? It pretty much falls out of it.
 
Ahhh my teacher told me to pick a "clever" g(x) so that we can use this theorem and therefore f(x) = 0. I was thinking contradiction but my teacher shot that down