1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of relationship between Hamiltonian and Energy

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove the relationship
    $$\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial\lambda}\right)_{nn} = \frac{\partial E_{nn}}{\partial\lambda},$$
    where ##\lambda## is a parameter in the Hamiltonian. Using this relationship, show that the average force exerted by a particle in an infinitely deep potential well ##(0\le x\le a)##, on the right "wall" can be written as $$\langle F_\textrm{right}\rangle_n = \frac{\partial E_n}{\partial a},$$ where ##n## is the energy level. Calculate the force and compare it with the classical expression.

2. Relevant equations

For the first part: ##\hat{H}_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle = E_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle##

##\langle \psi_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle = 1##
    ##\frac{d}{d\lambda}\langle \psi_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle = 0##

For the well: ##E_n = \frac{n^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{2ma^2}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay so here is what I am thinking for the first part:

$$\begin{eqnarray}
    \frac{d E_\lambda}{d\lambda} & = & \frac{d}{d\lambda}\langle\psi_\lambda|\hat{H}_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle \\
    & = & \langle \frac{d\psi_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\hat{H}_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle + \langle\psi_\lambda |\hat{H}_\lambda|\frac{d\psi_\lambda}{d\lambda}\rangle + \langle\psi_\lambda|\frac{d\hat{H}_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\psi_\lambda\rangle \\
    & = & E_\lambda \langle\frac{d\psi_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\psi_\lambda\rangle + E_\lambda\langle\psi_\lambda|\frac{d\psi_\lambda}{d\lambda}\rangle + \langle\psi_\lambda|\frac{d\hat{H}_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\psi_\lambda\rangle\\
    & = & \langle \psi_\lambda |\frac{d\hat{H}_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\psi_\lambda\rangle
    \end{eqnarray}$$

I am not sure if this is the correct direction to go but I figured it was worth a try. Any help or comments are appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, your approach looks reasonable and will lead you correct. One small note on notation: I would write
    $$
    \frac{d\left| \psi\right>}{d\lambda}
    $$
    instead of
    $$
    \left|\frac{d\psi}{d\lambda}\right>.
    $$

4. Oct 13, 2014 #3
    Okay thank you for your reply. Now for the second part I have
    $$\frac{\partial E_n}{\partial a} = -\frac{n^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{m a^3}$$. Now I need the average force on the right "wall", and my thought to get that is using ##-\vec{\nabla} U##, then
    $$\begin{eqnarray}
    \langle F_\textrm{right}\rangle &= & - \int \psi_\lambda^*\vec{\nabla}\psi_\lambda\,dq\\
    & = & -\int\psi_\lambda^* \frac{dU}{dx}\psi_\lambda\, dx
    \end{eqnarray}$$
    So my thought here is to jsut use the wavefunction for the infinitely deep potential well and more less plug-and-chug, but I could see some problems with that. However, I suppose in some sense this method is using the knowledge from part a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted