Proof of relationship between Hamiltonian and Energy

• Thread starter andre220
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Prove the relationship
$$\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial\lambda}\right)_{nn} = \frac{\partial E_{nn}}{\partial\lambda},$$
where ##\lambda## is a parameter in the Hamiltonian. Using this relationship, show that the average force exerted by a particle in an infinitely deep potential well ##(0\le x\le a)##, on the right "wall" can be written as $$\langle F_\textrm{right}\rangle_n = \frac{\partial E_n}{\partial a},$$ where ##n## is the energy level. Calculate the force and compare it with the classical expression.

Homework Equations

For the first part: ##\hat{H}_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle = E_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle##

##\langle \psi_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle = 1##
##\frac{d}{d\lambda}\langle \psi_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle = 0##

For the well: ##E_n = \frac{n^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{2ma^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so here is what I am thinking for the first part:

$$\begin{eqnarray}
\frac{d E_\lambda}{d\lambda} & = & \frac{d}{d\lambda}\langle\psi_\lambda|\hat{H}_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle \\
& = & \langle \frac{d\psi_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\hat{H}_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle + \langle\psi_\lambda |\hat{H}_\lambda|\frac{d\psi_\lambda}{d\lambda}\rangle + \langle\psi_\lambda|\frac{d\hat{H}_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\psi_\lambda\rangle \\
& = & E_\lambda \langle\frac{d\psi_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\psi_\lambda\rangle + E_\lambda\langle\psi_\lambda|\frac{d\psi_\lambda}{d\lambda}\rangle + \langle\psi_\lambda|\frac{d\hat{H}_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\psi_\lambda\rangle\\
& = & \langle \psi_\lambda |\frac{d\hat{H}_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\psi_\lambda\rangle
\end{eqnarray}$$

I am not sure if this is the correct direction to go but I figured it was worth a try. Any help or comments are appreciated.

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yes, your approach looks reasonable and will lead you correct. One small note on notation: I would write
$$
\frac{d\left| \psi\right>}{d\lambda}
$$
instead of
$$
\left|\frac{d\psi}{d\lambda}\right>.
$$

Okay thank you for your reply. Now for the second part I have
$$\frac{\partial E_n}{\partial a} = -\frac{n^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{m a^3}$$. Now I need the average force on the right "wall", and my thought to get that is using ##-\vec{\nabla} U##, then
$$\begin{eqnarray}
\langle F_\textrm{right}\rangle &= & - \int \psi_\lambda^*\vec{\nabla}\psi_\lambda\,dq\\
& = & -\int\psi_\lambda^* \frac{dU}{dx}\psi_\lambda\, dx
\end{eqnarray}$$
So my thought here is to jsut use the wavefunction for the infinitely deep potential well and more less plug-and-chug, but I could see some problems with that. However, I suppose in some sense this method is using the knowledge from part a.