PROOF: Quantum Fidelity with pure states

• I
  • Thread starter Alex Dingo
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi, I'm currently working on showing the relation of quantum fidelity:

The quantum “fidelity” between two pure states ρ1 = |ψ1⟩⟨ψ1| and ρ2 = |ψ2⟩⟨ψ2| is given by |⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩|^2.
Show that this quantity may be written as Tr(ρ1ρ2).

I've been following the wikipedia page on fidelity but can't understand it.

If I assume the statement is true and start from the Tr(ρ1ρ2) = Tr(|ψ1⟩⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩⟨ψ2|) I'm trying to find how I can reduce this, perhaps with summations to arrive at |⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩|^2 - can anyone suggest which direction to go in?

Answers and Replies

Try expressing both states in the same orthonormal basis.

Thanks
Bill

Try expressing both states in the same orthonormal basis.

Thanks
Bill
Hi Bill,

If I express Ψ1=∑√(p(x))|x> and Ψ2=∑√(q(x))|x> such that they are both expressed in the basis of x and compute |⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩|^2 I find Is equal to ∑[√p(x)√q(x)]^2 <x|x> such that I am left with Σp(x)q(x) which is a summation of their probabilities over x. Can I then relate the relation that the sum of p(x) and p(x) is 1 to make the link between the final result of Tr(p1p2) or have I made a mistake?
Thanks,
Alex.

DrClaude
Mentor
If I express Ψ1=∑√(p(x))|x> and Ψ2=∑√(q(x))|x> such that they are both expressed in the basis of x and compute |⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩|^2 I find Is equal to ∑[√p(x)√q(x)]^2 <x|x> such that I am left with Σp(x)q(x) which is a summation of their probabilities over x.
First, get rid of those square roots, which don't make any sense, since the expansion coefficients are complex numbers:
$$
\psi_1 = \sum_n p_n | n \rangle
$$
with ##p_n \in \mathbb{C}##.

After you have done that and calculated ##| \langle \psi_1 | \psi_2 \rangle |^2##, do it also for the trace of ##\rho_1 \rho_2## over the same basis.

First, get rid of those square roots, which don't make any sense, since the expansion coefficients are complex numbers:
$$
\psi_1 = \sum_n p_n | n \rangle
$$
with ##p_n \in \mathbb{C}##.

After you have done that and calculated ##| \langle \psi_1 | \psi_2 \rangle |^2##, do it also for the trace of ##\rho_1 \rho_2## over the same basis.
Hi DrCloud,

So the result for calculating ##| \langle \psi_1 | \psi_2 \rangle |^2## I found it equat to ##\Sigma p^2_n q^2_n ##. As for the calculation with the trace. I find
## Tr(\rho_1 \rho_2) = Tr(\langle n | \Sigma p^2_n |n\rangle \langle n | \Sigma q^2_n |n\rangle ##

From this point I can take the summations outside the trace and which leave ## \Sigma p^2_n q^2_n Tr( \langle n|n \rangle \langle n|n \rangle) ##
Although this final result with a number inside the trace i'm not sure I've done correctly.

Thanks,
Alex.

DrClaude
Mentor
From this point I can take the summations outside the trace and which leave ## \Sigma p^2_n q^2_n Tr( \langle n|n \rangle \langle n|n \rangle) ##
Although this final result with a number inside the trace i'm not sure I've done correctly.
You seem to be holding on too long to the trace operation. Consider
$$
\mathrm{Tr}(\hat{A}) = \sum_n \langle n | \hat{A} | n \rangle
$$

You seem to be holding on too long to the trace operation. Consider
$$
\mathrm{Tr}(\hat{A}) = \sum_n \langle n | \hat{A} | n \rangle
$$
Hi,
Okay this makes more sense, I forgot about this relationship.

I have computed this with ##\hat{A} = p1p2##
I find that ## \mathrm{Tr}(p1p2)=\Sigma\langle n | p_n|n\rangle \langle n | p_n q_n |n \rangle \langle n| q_n | n \rangle ##
which reduces to ## \Sigma p_n^2 q_n^2 ## as desired ?

DrClaude
Mentor
I find that ## \mathrm{Tr}(p1p2)=\Sigma\langle n | p_n|n\rangle \langle n | p_n q_n |n \rangle \langle n| q_n | n \rangle ##
I'm not sure how you got there (that is, I can't vouch that you did everything right), but the final result is correct.