1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proof that (n+1)/(3n-1) converges to 1/3

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

prove (n+1)/(3n+1) converges to 1/3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have been trying to figure this out for a while. I started out

(n+1)/3n+1)-1/3=(2n+2)/(9n-3) now I don't know how to proceed with the proof. What do I set N equal to? And then how do work it back into my inequality chain? Working this out step by step would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Hint: L'Hôpital's rule.

4. May 3, 2010 #3
    how does L'Hopital's rule get incorporated into a formal proof for a sequence converging. I don't understand

5. May 3, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Are you required to use an "N-[itex]\epsilon[/itex]" proof? If not, then you can use L'Hopital's rule- although even then, I would consider it "overkill". If you are not required to use L'Hopital, just divide both numerator and denominator by n and use the fact that [itex]1/n\to 0[/itex] as n goes to infinity.

If you are required to use "N-[itex]\epsilon[/itex]":

To start with you are completly wrong in saying that (n+1)/3n+1)-1/3=(2n+2)/(9n-3). I presume the denominator, 9n-3 instead of 9n+3, is a typos but even so,
    [tex]\frac{n+1}{3n+1}- \frac{1}{3}= \frac{3(n+ 1)- (3n+1)(1)}{3(3n+ 1)}= \frac{3n+ 3-3n-1}{9n+ 3}= \frac{2}{9n+1}[/tex]

That is, you need to make
    [tex]\left|\frac{n+1}{3n+1}- \frac{1}{3}\right|= \frac{2}{9n+1}< \epsilon[/tex]

it should be easy to continue from there.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook