Propability: Somebodys mistake

• Thread starter lorik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary: In this case, P(H) would be the probability of the head side coming up, and P(T) would be the probability of the tail side coming up.
lorik

Homework Statement

bayes theorem
we got 5 boxes with white and black balls ,2 boxes have 2 white balls and 3 black, 2 boxes have 1 white and 4 black , 1 box has 4 whites and 1black .From a random extraction the ball turned out to be black find propability that the extracted ball was from the second box

p(h1)=2/5 ,p(h2)=2/5, p(h3)=1/5 ,p(h1)a=3/5,P(h2)a=4/5,p(h3)a=1/5

This is the way its written in the book and professor tought us as its written in the book

Now I know how it goes but I think there might be a problem in the book because p(h2) is not really 2/5 but it should 1/5

am I correct or I have misunderstood all this problem ?

Physics news on Phys.org
At first I thought it is a typo, but you are consistent in all your threads.

Probability.

lorik said:

Homework Statement

bayes theorem
we got 5 boxes with white and black balls ,2 boxes have 2 white balls and 3 black, 2 boxes have 1 white and 4 black , 1 box has 4 whites and 1black .From a random extraction the ball turned out to be black find propability that the extracted ball was from the second box

p(h1)=2/5 ,p(h2)=2/5, p(h3)=1/5 ,p(h1)a=3/5,P(h2)a=4/5,p(h3)a=1/5
What do h1, h2, and h3 mean? What is a?
lorik said:
This is the way its written in the book and professor tought us as its written in the book

Now I know how it goes but I think there might be a problem in the book because p(h2) is not really 2/5 but it should 1/5

am I correct or I have misunderstood all this problem ?

Borek said:
At first I thought it is a typo, but you are consistent in all your threads.

Probability.

my tongue language I think pronounces p instead of b .I have the book right here let me check...wait a sec the book actually writes 'b' as well .Anywayz

Mark44 said:
What do h1, h2, and h3 mean? What is a?

I think it must 'the happening or event' I don't know I hate learning literature related to math.

It's impossible to determine the probability of an event if you don't know what the event is.

Also, what is a?
lorik said:
p(h1)a=3/5,P(h2)a=4/5,p(h3)a=1/5

Mark44 said:
It's impossible to determine the probability of an event if you don't know what the event is.

Also, what is a?

Sorry , the way it should be done is : ph1(A)=3/5, ph2(A)=4/5 ,ph3(A)=1/5

p(h1)=2/5 2 white balls ,ph1(A)= 3/5, 3 white balls all boxes equal 5 so...

lorik said:
Sorry , the way it should be done is : ph1(A)=3/5, ph2(A)=4/5 ,ph3(A)=1/5

p(h1)=2/5 2 white balls ,ph1(A)= 3/5, 3 white balls all boxes equal 5 so...

I don't understand ph1(A), ph2(A), or ph3(A) either, and you still haven't explained what A is.

Probabilities are usually written as P(some event). A typical example is when we flip a coin. One side is called the head side, and the other is the tail side. If we disallow the possibility of the coin landing on its edge, the two probabilities are P(H) and P(T), and each probability is 1/2 for a fair coin.

1. What is probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood or chance of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. What is the difference between probability and possibility?

Probability refers to the likelihood of an event occurring, while possibility refers to the potential for something to happen. Probability is a more precise and quantifiable concept, while possibility is more open-ended.

3. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you roll a six-sided die, the probability of rolling a 3 would be 1/6, because there is only one possible outcome out of six that is a 3.

4. What is the role of probability in science?

Probability is an important tool in scientific research, as it allows scientists to make predictions and determine the likelihood of certain outcomes. It is used in fields such as statistics, genetics, and physics to analyze data and make informed conclusions.

5. Can probability be used to predict the future?

While probability can help us make predictions based on past data and patterns, it cannot guarantee future outcomes. This is because probability is based on chance and there are always other variables that can influence an event. Therefore, probability should be used as a tool for making informed decisions, rather than a way to predict the future with certainty.