Solving for Probability using Bayes Theorem with 5 Boxes and Black Balls

• Thread starter lorik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the problem involves using Bayes' theorem to find the probability that a black ball was extracted from the second box given that there are 5 boxes with varying amounts of white and black balls. The notation used in the problem includes p(h1), p(h2), p(h3) for the probabilities of selecting from each box, and ph1(A), ph2(A), and ph3(A) for the probabilities of selecting a black ball from each box. The numbers used in these equations are based on the number of boxes and the number of black balls in each box.
lorik

Homework Statement

bayes theorem
we got 5 boxes with white and black balls ,2 boxes have 2 white balls and 3 black(H1), 2 boxes have 1 white and 4 black(H2) , 1 box has 4 whites and 1black(H3) .From a random extraction the ball turned out to be black find probability that the extracted ball was from the second box

p(H1)=2/5 ,p(H2)=2/5, p(H3)=1/5 ,ph1(A)=3/5, Ph2(A)=4/5, ph3(A)=1/5

This is the way its written in the book and professor taught us as its written in the book

Homework Equations

p(h1)=2/5 ,p(h2)=2/5, p(h3)=1/5 ,ph1(A)=3/5, Ph2(A)=4/5, ph3(A)=1/5 <------ Is this equation mistakenly typed ?
Thats all I am asking PLEASE DONT ASK WHAT IS ,P ,H ,OR A coz they don't matter AT ALL !

The Attempt at a Solution

I asked this question some time ago but all you did was ask what's ,P,A etc
thanks to all who help

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, what's A?

lorik said:

Homework Statement

bayes theorem
we got 5 boxes with white and black balls ,2 boxes have 2 white balls and 3 black(H1), 2 boxes have 1 white and 4 black(H2) , 1 box has 4 whites and 1black(H3) .From a random extraction the ball turned out to be black find probability that the extracted ball was from the second box

p(H1)=2/5 ,p(H2)=2/5, p(H3)=1/5 ,ph1(A)=3/5, Ph2(A)=4/5, ph3(A)=1/5

This is the way its written in the book and professor taught us as its written in the book

Homework Equations

p(h1)=2/5 ,p(h2)=2/5, p(h3)=1/5 ,ph1(A)=3/5, Ph2(A)=4/5, ph3(A)=1/5 <------ Is this equation mistakenly typed ?
Thats all I am asking PLEASE DONT ASK WHAT IS ,P ,H ,OR A coz they don't matter AT ALL !

The Attempt at a Solution

I asked this question some time ago but all you did was ask what's ,P,A etc
thanks to all who help
The problem is you're asking us if what was typed makes sense without giving us all the info. It's like forming a sentence with a bunch of words and asking if it makes sense without knowing the meaning of the words. How are we supposed to know?

I can take a guess as to what A, ph1, ph2, and ph3 stands for, and if I'm right, what's written would be correct. Why do you think there's a mistake?

@vela

then why do you think p(h2) is 2/5 ? Isn't there 1 white in the second box ? Same goes for H3 as its written 4 whites and p(h3) is showing 1/5 :confused:

What's the difference between when you wrote p(h1) and ph1(A)? What do they represent?

vela said:
What's the difference between when you wrote p(h1) and ph1(A)? What do they represent?

p(h1) is for whites and ph1(A) is for blacks ?

No. I get the feeling you're just making wild guesses. Try reading your book and notes to figure out what the notation means.

vela said:
No. I get the feeling you're just making wild guesses. Try reading your book and notes to figure out what the notation means.

I have and so far its impossible to understand this particular problem ,book i have sucks

Well I think I got it the idea just came out of nowhere ph1,ph2,ph3 have their number 2/5 ,2/5 ,1/5 because when looking at the exercise it clearly says 2 boxes ,2 boxes and then finally says 1 box ,while ph1(A) have their numbers acquired from black balls ,at least that's how i understand it ,if I am correct please let me know :smile:

Yes, that sounds right!

Related to Solving for Probability using Bayes Theorem with 5 Boxes and Black Balls

What is Bayes Theorem?

Bayes Theorem is a mathematical formula that helps us calculate the probability of an event occurring based on prior knowledge or information.

How is Bayes Theorem used in science?

Bayes Theorem is used in science to update our beliefs or hypotheses about a system or phenomenon based on new evidence or data.

What are the assumptions of Bayes Theorem?

The assumptions of Bayes Theorem include that the events being considered are independent, the probabilities are known or can be estimated, and the prior information is accurate.

What are the limitations of Bayes Theorem?

Bayes Theorem can be limited by inaccurate or incomplete prior information, as well as the assumption of independence between events, which may not always hold true in real-world situations.

Can Bayes Theorem be applied to any scientific problem?

Bayes Theorem can be applied to many scientific problems, but it may not always be the most appropriate or accurate method to use. It is important to consider the assumptions and limitations of Bayes Theorem before applying it to a problem.