Properties of a volume in 3D Euclidean space

In summary, the conversation is about describing an arbitrary volume of gas with specific conditions. The first condition is that the volume must not have any holes or bubbles, while the second is that it must be connected so that a gas molecule can reach any point without jumping. The third condition, proposed by Mike, is that any straight line passing through the volume should only cross two boundaries. This relates to the curvature of the edge surface, which should be positive or zero everywhere. The term for this is "strictly convex". However, for a box, which has zero curvature everywhere, the term "convex" can be used.
mikeph
Hello,

I am writing a small report and trying to be mathematically accurate in my terminology- I am trying to describe an arbitrary volume of gas, but this volume must (1) not have any holes (or bubbles where the gas cannot go) in it, and (2) must be one single volume, so a gas molecule from any point can reach any other point without jumping.

Am I right in thinking the second condition is satisfied if the volume is "connected"?
What is the first condition described by?

It can be any shape, just no holes.

Thanks,
Mikeedit- Also I am considering a third condition, that (3) any straight line passing through the volume only crosses two boundaries- for example a skewer through a donut can cross four times if you poke it through a line in the 'plane' of the donut. Is there a word for this? I think it may relate to the curvature of the edge surface, must be positive or zero everywhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
MikeyW said:
I am trying to describe an arbitrary volume of gas, but this volume must (1) not have any holes (or bubbles where the gas cannot go) in it, and (2) must be one single volume, so a gas molecule from any point can reach any other point without jumping.Am I right in thinking the second condition is satisfied if the volume is "connected"? What is the first condition described by?
It can be any shape, just no holes.
Genus 0.
edit- Also I am considering a third condition, that (3) any straight line passing through the volume only crosses two boundaries- for example a skewer through a donut can cross four times if you poke it through a line in the 'plane' of the donut. Is there a word for this? I think it may relate to the curvature of the edge surface, must be positive or zero everywhere?
You don't want that to be zero if you only want two points. 'Strictly convex' is the term you are looking for.

How about a box, though, the curvature should be zero everywhere, and that's a realistic example for me, where you can't have more than two points?

Then use 'convex'. This includes zero curvature. And doesn't need 'genus 0'.

1. What is a volume in 3D Euclidean space?

A volume in 3D Euclidean space refers to the amount of space that an object or shape occupies in three-dimensional space. It is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic feet.

2. How is the volume of a 3D object calculated?

The volume of a 3D object can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the object together. This is known as the formula for finding the volume of a rectangular prism. For other shapes, such as cylinders or cones, there are specific formulas that can be used to calculate their volumes.

3. What are the properties of a volume in 3D Euclidean space?

The properties of a volume in 3D Euclidean space include its shape, size, and orientation. It also has a specific location within the three-dimensional coordinate system. Additionally, the volume has a specific measure or quantity that represents the amount of space it occupies.

4. How does the volume of an object change if its dimensions are altered?

If the dimensions of an object in 3D Euclidean space are altered, the volume will also change. For example, if the length, width, or height of a rectangular prism is increased, the volume will increase as well. Similarly, if the dimensions are decreased, the volume will decrease.

5. Can the volume of a 3D object be negative?

No, the volume of a 3D object cannot be negative. Since volume represents the amount of space an object occupies, it cannot have a negative value. However, the volume can be zero if the object has no dimensions or if all of its dimensions are zero.