Properties of polyhalogen compounds in Solution

In summary, the speaker is having trouble finding information on polyhalogen compounds, specifically CsICl2 in solution. They have made dichloroiodide and are trying to interpret the results when added to different solutions. They are also curious about the behavior of I in a +1 oxidation state and how it compares to HIO in 1M[H+]. Most online resources only discuss solid state information, so the speaker is open to any information on explaining general trends for polyhalogen compounds in solution. Additionally, the speaker mentions the possibility of hydrolyzing CsICl2 to obtain HIO, HCl, and CsOH, and then reacting them together to possibly get CsIO and CsCl.
greensco
I'm having trouble finding information on polyhalogen compounds ie CsICl2 when they are dissolved in solution.

I've made dichloroiodide and I'm trying to figure out why/what happened when added to HCl/NaOH/and with KI added to both acidic and basic conditions, but I don't know how to interpret the results. I know that I is in a +1 oxidation state does that mean it behaves in 1M[H+] similar to how HIO would?

Everything I've found online deals with solid state, ideally Id like to know about CsICl2, but I'll take any info on explaining general trends for polyhalogen compounds in solution

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you hydrolyse CsICl2, I believe you will get HIO and HCl, and ofcourse CsOH. Now get those acids and base react together again, you may get CsIO and CsCl.

What are polyhalogen compounds?

Polyhalogen compounds are organic compounds that contain multiple halogen atoms, such as fluorine, chlorine, bromine, or iodine, in their molecular structure.

What are the properties of polyhalogen compounds?

The properties of polyhalogen compounds vary depending on the specific halogen atoms present and their arrangement in the molecule. However, some common properties include high reactivity, low boiling points, and solubility in non-polar solvents.

How do polyhalogen compounds behave in solution?

In solution, polyhalogen compounds can undergo various reactions and interactions. For example, they can form hydrogen bonds with water molecules, dissolve in non-polar solvents, and undergo substitution reactions with other compounds.

What are the potential uses of polyhalogen compounds?

Polyhalogen compounds have a wide range of potential uses in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and materials science. They can be used as precursors for other compounds, catalysts, or as active ingredients in products.

What are the safety considerations for handling polyhalogen compounds in solution?

Due to their high reactivity, polyhalogen compounds can be potentially hazardous to handle. It is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area, when handling these compounds in solution.