Proportionally damped 2-DOF system

In summary: M + βK + γKM^-1K = α I + β K + γ M-.5 KαM + βK + γKM^-1K = 2Mζ1ω + 2Kζ2ωαM + βK + γKM^-1K = 2ω(Mζ1 + Kζ2)α + β = 2ζ1ωβ + γ = 2ζ2ωSolving these equations for α and β, we get:α = 2ζ1ω - ββ = 2ζ2ω - γSubstituting these into the expression for C, we get:C = (
toaster89
A proportionally damped 2-DOF system has mass and stiffness matrix M and K. We also know that the system has damping ratio ζ1 = 0.1 and 2 = 0.3. The damping matrix is written as
C = α M + β K + γ KM-1K
Try to find the coefficients

Mx"+Cx'+kx=0
CM^-1K=KM^-1C

Mx"(t)+(αM+βK+γKM^-1K)x'(t)+kx(t)=0
x(t)=M-.5 x q and multiply by M-.5

q"(t) + (αI+βK+γM-.5 M-.5 KM-1K)q'(t)+Kq(t)=0

q"(t)+(αI+βK+γ2M-.5K)q't+Kq(t)=0

So far this is all i got and now i am stuck

any tips?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm trying to figure out the same problem, were you ever able to figure it out?

I don't know why you have 3 unknown coefficients in your expression for C when you only have two requirements to meet. That will not give you a unique answer. You might as well assume γ = 0.

C = α M gives a damping ratio proportional to 1/ω.
C = β K gives a damping ratio proportional to ω.
The mode shapes with Rayleigh damping are the same as with no damping.

(Those results should be in your textbook or course notes).

So you get two simultaneous equations to find α and β in terms of ζ1 and ζ2.

What is a proportionally damped 2-DOF system?

A proportionally damped 2-DOF (degree of freedom) system is a mechanical system with two masses that can move independently in two different directions. The system is damped in such a way that the damping ratio is the same for both modes of vibration.

How is the damping ratio calculated for a proportionally damped 2-DOF system?

The damping ratio for a proportionally damped 2-DOF system is calculated by dividing the damping coefficient by the critical damping coefficient. The critical damping coefficient is calculated using the natural frequency and mass of the system.

What is the effect of damping on a 2-DOF system?

Damping in a 2-DOF system helps to dissipate energy and reduce the amplitude of vibrations. This results in a decrease in the system's natural frequency and an increase in its damping ratio.

What are the advantages of using a proportionally damped 2-DOF system?

A proportionally damped 2-DOF system has the advantage of being able to dissipate energy evenly in both modes of vibration, resulting in a more stable and accurate response compared to other damping methods. It also simplifies the calculation of damping ratios and allows for easier analysis of the system's behavior.

How is a proportionally damped 2-DOF system used in real-world applications?

Proportionally damped 2-DOF systems are commonly used in mechanical and structural engineering, particularly in the design of buildings, bridges, and other structures. They are also used in the automotive industry for suspension systems and in aerospace for the design of aircraft and spacecraft.